Fresh MK3 build

Only Site supporters can create new posts in this section. A section to display all your bikes, and biking history. Feel free to share your history here and picture whoring. This section is not 56K friendly, let alone 2mb broadband friendly either.
garretthen
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Fresh MK3 build

Post by garretthen » 31 Dec 2021, 23:38

Hi all, I'm at the start of what looks like a very long ground up MK3 rebuild.
Purchased the bike blind only to find a previous owner had basically turned it into a field/crosser.
Only original body part is the fuel tank and all none essential electrics are gone, including wires cut at the PGM.
In the middle of painting the frame white as it had been black.
If anyone can help with any of the following, please let me know:
All cables
Headlight and brackets
2T oil tank
PV servo and cables
Rear mudguard
Rear light
Switchgear
Panels

https://ibb.co/PCRWs8f

Thanks

mcludd
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: Fresh MK3 build

Post by mcludd » 17 Jan 2022, 15:27

Quite a bit of XR400/250 stuff fits CRMs
Pretty sure clocks brakes handlebar switches are a straight swap and probably quite a few other bits too

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 17 Jan 2022, 17:34

See the FAQs ......................

garretthen
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by garretthen » 24 Jan 2022, 22:59

Hi,

Build progressing slowly.
Forks are rotten so have sourced CR250 forks and triple clamps for the transplant.
Just need to press the stem in.
I'm sure this will cause headaches with mounting headlight and clocks but Japan won't post original forks so what do ya do?
Main issues now are the oil reservoir and piping, bracket to mount the servo and fixing the loom that has been relieved of anything non essential.

https://ibb.co/JmYWy2w

DaveR900
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by DaveR900 » 25 Jan 2022, 11:37

Hi mate
Responded to your other post about the forks
I'll have a dig around in my store, I may have a spare Mk3 oil tank, but not the filler tube or hose, not sure on the condition, it was in a job lot of shite I bought
If you find an AR system they hold a lot more oil as its a double tank
Alternatively I have used an AR water expansion bottle (sits under the read mudguard) as an additional tank... just in case ;)
I might have an old set of clocks too, they may be Mk1 so the wiring will be slightly different and the case is pretty battered (CMSNL for a new case OOOooo shiny)
Don't have a Loom for a Mk3, only and AR one, not sure how compatible that would be.
If you look on Croooober and search under motorcycle parts/CRM250 there are a set of Yolks for $29.00 + $47.00 shipping. Mk2/3/AR are all the same
There is a top yolk for $9.00 too
For you headlight, use rubbers for now (they will fit on your OEM headlight), brackets come on ebay every now and then, keep your eyes open
UFO do one for an XR250/400 they are a bit pricey but close to original and come with rubber mounts. I do have a spare but not letting go of that Rocking horse poo.
Rear light, go for an LED to get you going, again they pop up on the auction sites, I managed to get a NOS MK1 complete with Lense, lamp & reflector for £50
LED controllers and Indicator Boxes are another issue to think about. They are mostly shot. I had to rewire my Mk3 with a relay and some diodes to get the indicators working.

*** If anyone out there knows a fix for the LED controllers I would appreciate a heads up ***

Plastics will be japan. They are getting rarer in the UK, there seems to be a lot of them over there but getting more expensive, again keeping hold of my spares, Soz
The MK3 Red seems to have a hint of Blue in it that doesnt match with the UFO (Honda Fighting Red) so be carful what you buy

Hope that helps?? Dave
PS, work is a bit quiet today, you may have guessed :lol:

garretthen
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by garretthen » 25 Jan 2022, 19:45

Hi Dave,

Cheers for the very comprehensive reply.

I'd be very interested in the oil tank if you can find it.
I have an expansion bottle from an AR, which was labelled as a MK3.
It looks exactly like the expansion bottle that sits behind the radiator on my MK3, except the plumbing is different.
I can't for the life of me see where it mounts though.

I have two sets of clocks, one new from an XR and a scruffy original. Wiring is slightly different but doesn't scare me.

I might be interested in the AR loom also.
It's just the parts for the lights, side stand switch etc.
Surely they can't be too different.

Garrett

DaveR900
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by DaveR900 » 26 Jan 2022, 13:04

Hi Garrett
I'll have a dig over the weekend
Side stand switch can be shorted out so its no essential, there is a post on here how to do that
The AR expansion bottle is a skinny tapered thing that hangs off two brackets on the left side of the sub frame.
The fwd bolt is in the same bolt as the back tool box and you will need a P clip for the back one (Mk3s dont have the back bracket), if you choose to use it that is.

There is a lot of very useful stuff on the forum make sure you read as much as you can before you start a job as it'll save you time an money
Dave

777amia
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by 777amia » 26 Jan 2022, 13:14

If you want the ability to mount the clocks and ignition barrel why don't you modify the original yokes? Give them to a local engineering firm to sort them for you.

The expansion bottle bolts to the left radiator on the mk3

Lots on hondas share the same side stand switch too.

You don't actually need a controller for the leds, I used a resistor on the positive lead to the led on my old AR, fitted inside the clock housing. They receive constant power, the switch is the signal from each sensor. Never had an issue with it either. I have an led controller for an AR, easy to modify for any other mark, you'd just have to join the two power wires together and change the connector.

garretthen
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by garretthen » 10 Jun 2022, 23:50

Hi,

Been a while but we have been chipping away at the MK3.
We have everything except a wiring loom.
Tried to make a MK2 loom work with a MK3 pgm but it is different.

Are there any MK3 looms out there???

Garrett

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 05 Jan 2023, 23:22

As long as you have the ecu blocks its pretty simple tbh (loom guides on here), don't leave out the diode's though or cut them off

I
VIVA LA CRM!