CRM Ownership 1 year on

Only Site supporters can create new posts in this section. A section to display all your bikes, and biking history. Feel free to share your history here and picture whoring. This section is not 56K friendly, let alone 2mb broadband friendly either.
Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
CRM Ownership 1 year on

Post by Eddie Evans » 31 Aug 2008, 22:21

The CRM was bought for trail riding
Just over a year ago I bought my Mk3 CRM sort of off E bay.
I checked the bike over and all seemed OK so handed over the cash.
It travelled back from Northumberland on my Sidebike transporter(KLX in The pic)

One of the first jobs was an MOT, The lights etc. worked so all was well there and it passed.
I had taken it to the centre on the Sidebike and as I loaded back on noticed that there was no nut on the swinging arm :o
Back home I looked for a nut to fit without success. A closer look revelled it was mushroomed.
I tapped a hole in the shaft and bolted it up so that I could ride it around a bit to make sure that there was nothing else wrong with it. All seemed OK.
I tried for several evenings to release the shaft but it was solid. My solution was to cut it out. Now that was a job and a half

I had already bought another swinging arm which I fitted with new bushes and bearings so once that was on it was up the road for a test. All seemed OK
Next test ride all seemed OK so I opened her right up as you do. :roll:
It was struggling to reach peak revs in 6th so I dropped it into 5th before shutting down ready to turn into my street. It cut out :?: Now I suspected that it was more than a normal stall so when it did not kick up I pushed it the 50yards home.
It had spark, it had fuel but
I think the root cause was that some grit or aluminium dust had got into the cylinder even though it was well covered, whilst I ground the swinging arm out. :oops:
This was turning out to be bad news, it was a real chore.
Nothing for it but a rebore and new piston etc.

I ran it in as carefully as possible I was not taking any chances with the theory of thrash it from the crate.
Soon after running in I met up with Slider for a days ride in the Peaks.
I was so nervous of blowing the engine as it revved up those stony climbs but other than banging my ribs :cry: the day ended well.

Surely it could handle a ride through some bogs though to be honest I still did not really trust the bike.

It dieselled at one point (running with the ignition off, firing off the hot carbon on the cylinder head) but it kept going once it had cooled down. There had been a slow coolant leak that I could not find until on the next days ride I noticed coolant seeping through the top hose on the RH rad.
This sorted out the leak but the temp light was coming on on long slow slippy climbs.
A search on here and the guide to fitting the Computer fan :BB

For the last few month the bike has performed admirably in all type of terrain

I know that nothing lasts for ever, hence buying a MK2 engine to recon as a spare but I am not envious of the latest orange offerings as I ride this 14 year old trail bike along the most difficult of trails.
TBM 's article said the best trail bike ever and I think that that is bang on.
A now very happy CRM owner :D

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: CRM Ownership 1 year on

Post by Gwyn » 01 Sep 2008, 08:57

Excellent write up with pics Eddie 8-) 8-) :) I agree mate, CRM's are an excellent all round Trail bike. So easy to maintain. When i get home from a ride, it's just a wash down, lube the chain and top up the 2t oil, and i'm ready to go ago again (in between services of course), brilliant :D :D :D
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2