One from the Philippines

Only Site supporters can create new posts in this section. A section to display all your bikes, and biking history. Feel free to share your history here and picture whoring. This section is not 56K friendly, let alone 2mb broadband friendly either.
oldbaz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
One from the Philippines

Post by oldbaz » 10 Jun 2010, 01:35

Here it is as purchased. It's not the best, but CRM's are few and far between in the Philippines, and I'll bet this is the only one in Palawan (the "Last Frontier").
Very pleased to have found it, but there's a little work to do :roll:
Attachments
CRM  13MAY10 001 sm.jpg

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: One from the Philippines

Post by knackeredMk1 » 10 Jun 2010, 07:26

Looks like perhaps modified forks as well as shock :?: . Maybe just stronger springs :?: .

Original forks are 41mm but the yokes can be, and I have done, milled out to 43mm to fit other forks.

oldbaz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oldbaz » 10 Jun 2010, 08:33

Flippin eck!! How did you spot that? :BB . Length I guess.
I had arranged to buy the CRM before I made a trip back to UK in April, and back there are a pair of forks which I bought about seven years ago when I went to Wales to buy a Maico frame (and the forks were thrown in). Since the forks looked very Showa'ish I measured them up to check the stanchion diameter - turned out they were 41mm, so I thought they were not going to be useful as they are the same size as those on the CRM. But you spotted it better than me - I'd never checked the existing forks until 5 mins ago when I put the calipers on them. Spot on 43mm.
So at least it's high at both ends. Maybe I can get some of those built-up boots to wear when I ride it!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 10 Jun 2010, 08:48

Suspect this mod has been done, though probably CR 250 forks were used rather than 125.

Original on left/bottom.

oldbaz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oldbaz » 15 Jun 2010, 06:49

Had quite a good day yesterday, despite the 32C heat :roll:
Found that the swinging arm bolt turns, so hopefully will come out.
Regarding the seat height, I can drop the front by at least 30cm, and I'm having new longer dog bones made to lower the rear. ( the length is only relevant to my bike with the unidentified long shock which appears in good order, and the altered top mounting).
Also, checked the number of teeth on the Talon sprocket - 49, so with the 14 front, should be a good gearing for me here.
Today hasn't started so well having noticed the bent bolt on the linkage. I guess I can cut the end off and get it out, but I wonder how the heck it got that way>
Attachments
susp link bolt 002 smm.jpg
susp link bolt 001 smm.jpg

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 15 Jun 2010, 17:27

oldbaz wrote:Had quite a good day yesterday, despite the 32C heat :roll:
Found that the swinging arm bolt turns, so hopefully will come out.
Regarding the seat height, I can drop the front by at least 30cm, and I'm having new longer dog bones made to lower the rear. ( the length is only relevant to my bike with the unidentified long shock which appears in good order, and the altered top mounting).
Also, checked the number of teeth on the Talon sprocket - 49, so with the 14 front, should be a good gearing for me here.
Today hasn't started so well having noticed the bent bolt on the linkage. I guess I can cut the end off and get it out, but I wonder how the heck it got that way>
Hey Baz,

Getting the swing-arm bolt to turn is only half the battle if it is corroded to the engine bushings....but hopefully you will be fine.
The linkage bolt probably got damaged by the bike bottoming out on a rock or something - my linkage has a ding in it so I can only push the bearing in from one side and then have to push it all the way across to the other side!

Regards
SkidMark
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

oldbaz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oldbaz » 16 Jun 2010, 01:03

Hi Mark,
I think I get your point on the swinging arm bolt it could be seized to the bushes - but the bushes are turning? I had hoped not to take out the bolt yet because I have to try to get the bike together again to take it for an emissions test (otherwise I can't get change of ownership done).
BTW, I guess the 32C isn't too unusual for you!
Thanks for your comments,
Baz

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 16 Jun 2010, 04:47

oldbaz wrote:Hi Mark,
I think I get your point on the swinging arm bolt it could be seized to the bushes - but the bushes are turning? I had hoped not to take out the bolt yet because I have to try to get the bike together again to take it for an emissions test (otherwise I can't get change of ownership done).
BTW, I guess the 32C isn't too unusual for you!
Thanks for your comments,
Baz
For me the job easy - undo nut and gentle tap bolt through!!! no salt on the roads here! But a few guys have got excited that they can turn the bolt and have then still had big problems getting the bolt through - not sure whether it was because the bolt was turning with the bushings or just that it was so corroded that although it would rotate there was so much build up of corrosion that to move the bolt through was really hard. I think for you, you should be fine 'cos although i imagine its humid there you don't have the salt? So you actaully have emissions testing in the philipines? wow! here in Uganda there is no kind of vehicle testing at all - as seen by all the Pajero's (Mitsibushi Shoguns to you Brits) bellowing black smoke and the matatu's (taxi's) with various parts falling off and no lights that work... :cry:

Still - keeps traveling exciting :roll:

Regards
SkidMark
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

oldbaz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oldbaz » 16 Jun 2010, 07:42

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
16Jun 10 004 sm.jpg

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 16 Jun 2010, 08:02

Notice you also have CR500 brake pedal ;) .

oldbaz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oldbaz » 16 Jun 2010, 10:02

Eagle eyes again 8-)
Had to have a look at Google images to spot the difference. More robust in design?
But it does touch the clutch cover, going to have to sort that after I paint it!

Cheers

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 16 Jun 2010, 16:15

It's just that I've done the same - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3484&start=0 :D .

Lighter and easier on the eye ;) .

oldbaz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oldbaz » 17 Jun 2010, 01:06

Aah yes, got it.
BTW, did you just cut off the mounting tube for the "low oil" sender and weld a piece over it?

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 17 Jun 2010, 04:35

oldbaz wrote::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D
AR's rock!!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 17 Jun 2010, 08:16

Re oil sender - Ground it off and sealed it with a plate. Didn't weld but brazeing/welding would be good.