AR Project Started

Only Site supporters can create new posts in this section. A section to display all your bikes, and biking history. Feel free to share your history here and picture whoring. This section is not 56K friendly, let alone 2mb broadband friendly either.
helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)
AR Project Started

Post by helisupp » 12 Oct 2012, 17:14

It may not look like much but this is the latest project starting refurbishment tomorrow, swingarm, frame and engine should be assembled in next few days, so will post a few pics to keep people interested.
Purchased from Active Rascal a few months ago in a bit of a state having already performed a lifetime of service, a lot of items were missing or of no use, or used on his lovely jubbely CR / CRM project detailed elsewhere in the forum.

The swingarm had already had a few serious attempts of removing the bolt but it was gone too far, so out came my favorite tool the angle grinder which removed it scrapping the swingarm. If you have a seized swingarm bolt DO NOT try and remove it using a socket set, especially one that is not a six sided socket. Soak it for a couple of days with plusgas, then use an air impact wrench whilst hitting the other end of the shaft shaft with a heavy steel object, it should come out, I have done 3 in this manner now.

These two swingarms are the start of the project, both well used, bearings ok in one, knackered in the other, so may put new bearings in (XR400 allballs kits) and use the nicer looking swingarm (leaves one swingarm as a serviceable spare).

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: AR Project Started

Post by jompy » 12 Oct 2012, 18:18

keep us updated ;0)

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR

Post by Active Rascal » 13 Oct 2012, 12:18

Looking forward to progress and finished pics Mark. Apologies for the state of my bike!! As for the swing arm nut/bolt.... I had soaked it for weeks in all sorts, I think we even tried heat (can't remember) but tried buzz gun with a variety of sockets etc. Tried hitting with drifts etc from the other side.... nothing!!

Good luck with your (final?) build. By the way I gave a mate of mine you email address a while ago, as he was thinking of selling his AR, not sure if he got contact with you?!

Shaun.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 13 Oct 2012, 13:04

Shaun, I bought your bike for spare parts, but then changed my mind and will be reborn.

Will post progress pictures this week (keeps posts more interesting) and should have it finished in a couple of weeks.

Nobody has been in touch.

The only bikes I would be interested in are complete bikes, with indicators, original guards, toolbox etc, costs too much to find missing parts.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 16 Oct 2012, 17:11

Powder coating now arrived, reassembly over the next few weeks as still waiting for a few parts.

Boring photos to follow, but it may interest someone who is doing the same thing. Still not sure which swingarm to use

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 17 Oct 2012, 15:25

Frame prepared and engine in, old screws still in covers.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 17 Oct 2012, 15:41

wow thats clean! looks great! ( apart form the stock genny cover.. where oh where to get a nice new carbon fibre one :? )
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 17 Oct 2012, 16:45

:P

Takes a lot of time to make the mould ;) . Having some 'tools' made up but need to make space in the garage and have a time when I feel up to tackling it. Progress is being made but slowly.

I think I will go for the 'Clutch cover cover' before I complete the mould for the generator cover. Also looking at 'skinning' a plastic tank in carbon fibre (just got the tank and the practical aspects are much like the clutch cover cover). Should look loads better and the graphics won't discolour and peel off.

mikeelwb
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mikeelwb » 17 Oct 2012, 17:25

hi helisup your bikes are looking great ive just seen this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Crm-250 ... 3f1daccd9e thought there might be something useful

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by Active Rascal » 17 Oct 2012, 17:42

Mark,

How do you get your engines looking so good? Mine too ages with a dremel, wire wool, soft wire brushes and all sorts, looked a similar standard to yours, just wondered what methods you used?

With regards to the above link on Ebay, that dude is getting someone to put his AR engine into an ali CRF chassis!!

mikeelwb
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mikeelwb » 17 Oct 2012, 17:59

should be a good project for him

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 17 Oct 2012, 18:21

Active Rascal,

This is your bike that is coming together..........swing arm and shock now installed.

Engine Cleaning.

I use a nylon wheel impregnated with grinding material, see item number 180981492054 on ebay, they have numerous sizes.

Always use loads of WD40 (I have used 2 gallons so far on 4 bikes) when using the wheel, and make sure you wear old clothes as you will get absolutely covered.

With a rechargeable drill (so its not too fast) use the wheel on a hard metal surface for a couple of minutes to break it in (like a vice) and get the bristles to flex in one direction and make them softer (you can only use it in one direction after breaking in this way)

Then it will take about 2 hours to clean the engine with the wheel, it gets into 95% of crevices once broken in and its soft, using WD prevents any burning or picking up of material. Bonus is that it does the ally and steel at the same time, its great.

After doing about 20 minutes of cleaning with rotary brush and WD40, I wash the engine down with brake cleaner, then repeat the process again and again, finishing with a nice clean engine with a good finish (not polished) . At no point is a wire rotary brush used, it is too aggressive

Mark

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 17 Oct 2012, 18:53

:BB

thats one clean engine! I'm taking notes, I spent about an hour doin mine - lets just say I wont be postin pictures (no way! not now! :D )
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

mammoth200
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM250 mk2 1992

Post by mammoth200 » 17 Oct 2012, 18:55

That does look sweet :) Any chance on getting a picture with the generator cover off? looking for the routing for the neutral switch as mine currently doesn't have one, neither does it appear to have the wiring to go with it!

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by Active Rascal » 17 Oct 2012, 22:48

Good stuff Mark. It's the first time I really hav done anything like that, so always learning, I just experimented with stuff. i probably used WD or Autosol. Only thing is it seems to get dirtier since,a nd the salt seemed to attack it more in the winter.

Here's my engine when I had finished cleaning it:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/ ... CF2219.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/ ... CF2221.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/ ... CF2222.jpg

And into the frame she goes ;)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/ ... CF2223.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/ ... CF2234.jpg

Shaun.