My Mk 3

Only Site supporters can create new posts in this section. A section to display all your bikes, and biking history. Feel free to share your history here and picture whoring. This section is not 56K friendly, let alone 2mb broadband friendly either.
longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 3
My Mk 3

Post by longmoreuk » 10 Apr 2013, 11:48

Should be able to post pics of my bike now.

Work done, very little - lowered the rear end approx 25mm with the use of new dogbones and lowered the front by raising the forks in the yokes.

I have tried and tried to get better pressure in the front brakes but need a better caliper/master cylinder set up.
rear brake needs sorting so it works and makes the brake light come on.

Apart from that, I know the swingarm bolt is seized - apparantly common on these bikes, the chap I bought it off told me it was but i havent done anything about that.

It also needs new front wheel bearings - can anyone point me in the direction of some - i stumbled on a thread on here which said the size of the bearings but cant find it now I want to!

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: My Mk 3

Post by longmoreuk » 10 Apr 2013, 14:37

found it - mk 3 front wheel bearings, 2x 6003 2RS

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 10 Apr 2013, 21:06

or just pop the original bearings out & call into your local bearing factors with them ;)

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 11 Apr 2013, 06:28

jompy wrote:or just pop the original bearings out & call into your local bearing factors with them ;)
try "simply bearings" off the internet
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 11 Apr 2013, 18:20

Mudfacetony wrote:
jompy wrote:or just pop the original bearings out & call into your local bearing factors with them ;)
try "simply bearings" off the internet
+1
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 13 Apr 2013, 00:15

Thanks, have ordered the bearings and removed the rear caliper, what a mess. The caliper was full of crud, had to lever it apart from the bracket!! Then I had to remove the piston to reveal messed up seals and more crud. Bit of wire wheel action later and its not so bad, need seals though and to make sure the pins have grease on them this time. At least I know it will actually work when it's together.

Another thIng I will need to look at is the chain, it was rubbing on the bottom chain guard I think as the rear wheel doesn't spin freely on the stand. Having lowered it anyway it needs to be slackened off a bit I think.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 13 Apr 2013, 15:25

Some chains look very very slack.

From memory its 50mm from top of swingarm, about halfway.

Could be wrong, maybe my chain is too tight :D

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 13 Apr 2013, 15:38

:o That chain does look somewhat tight, but it might just be very dry.
Mike

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 13 Apr 2013, 19:08

Think it is tight, will sort when I put the wheel back on

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 19 Apr 2013, 11:53

The rear brake now works as it should! Looks better too as I have cleaned it up.

Have adjusted the chain - per the manual, slack is 30-40mm but i assume thats on a centre stand.

I only have a stand for the swingarm at the moment so will have to see what its like when I get my lard ar5e on it. Rear wheel spins a lot free'er than it did before i took the wheel off.

I think the bike has just stood for a large percentage of its life so things need a bit of love and wd-40 to spring into life. The key now works the toolbox and the helmet lock.

Just fitted a new spark plug, BR8ES I think. Did this as the bike needed a fair few kicks before to spark it into action last time i got it out.

Front bearings will be next when I find something to lift the bike with.

Sorry to bleet on - i like to post what I have done so I can refer back and recall the info, have a memory for this sort of thing like a sieve.

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 03 May 2013, 14:10

Starts nice and i did a few miles on it last night. I was worried at first as i heard a slight knock at idle sometimes and again when i had it in say 4th at low revs and gave it some beans. After it had warmed up properly it didnt happen again. Something will go one day anyway so i am not concerned by it.

More importantly - i had adjusted the lever so that the piston on the master cylinder was depressed slightly even when the lever was depressed. that gave a firm feel on the lever. BIG mistake. within 2 miles the bike wouldnt move and the brakes were ready to fry an egg on. Adjusted back to as it was, lever travels back to the bars again but at least its right.

Idiot thing to do i know but i didnt realise the effect adjusting the lever would have.

Its increased my desire to part with some cash for a new front master cylinder.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 03 May 2013, 16:03

^^^^^^ :OMG Lucky you didn't get to do a face plant.
Mike

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 26 Jun 2013, 01:20

Got a master cylinder on the way that I picked up cheap, not sure really if it will fit or is suitable but will see when it is delivered. it's off a Honda 125 varadero. Hopefully it's fine.

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 27 Jun 2013, 00:39

Well it fits, not perfect but fits to a fashion. just come out the garage

The front brake is still utter shite so its either the hose or the caliper - I think I am going to have to just source something else that is a simple plug and play, sick of trying the bleed the fookin thing now - if someone has something knocking about which they know works, let me know. #fedup.

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 08 Jul 2013, 14:00

I changed the hose - still useless. At a loss now what is up with it, there is only three parts to the darn thing, must be something up with the actual calliper, cant see any leaks, have changed the rubber seals, given up.

Ordered a YZ full front brake system now so fingers crossed it fits and works when it actually arrives.