Fishy, bike all dusted down ready for summer

Only Site supporters can create new posts in this section. A section to display all your bikes, and biking history. Feel free to share your history here and picture whoring. This section is not 56K friendly, let alone 2mb broadband friendly either.
helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)
Fishy, bike all dusted down ready for summer

Post by helisupp » 07 Apr 2014, 19:40

Fishy,

Reading all your woes I felt I had to go and take the winters dust off one of the bikes.

I know, its a crime not riding them on the dirt, but somebody must preserve a few.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Fishy, bike all dusted down ready for summer

Post by twistednuts » 07 Apr 2014, 20:26

Wow!! :shock:

How did you get the crankcases up like that?

Its spotless!! Fishys is like that under all the gunge and bamboo :D

Ya must have plenty a spare time man

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 07 Apr 2014, 21:27

It takes about 2-3 hours to do any CRM engine that is on a bench to same standard using WD40, nylon rotary filament brush and drill. It makes an awful mess when working on engine but worth it, the wheel gets into every nook and cranny.

Then apply ACF50 and wipe it in, then wipe it off, job done.

6 engines done so far (including the spare) and a couple were rough to start with.

Not sure if the rotary brush removes bamboo though.

andrew19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 250 MK3

Post by andrew19 » 07 Apr 2014, 21:45

Do you have a link to a rotary filament brush? :BB I need to go out and buy one ..... or two

Thanks

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 07 Apr 2014, 21:56

Just go onto ebay and type in "rotary filament", several types of brushes from "Silverline" will be shown.

Best to use a 100mm wheel, a cup brush and an end brush, not expensive, you will not wear them out.

Before you use the wheel brush on the engine use it against a vice or something for a minute to start the bristles bending over (with WD40), they are too stiff to start with.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 08 Apr 2014, 17:16

ha! so if I bring my bike to the hotel lobby when Hels comes to HK is he are volunteering? :D

actually I did have a go when I read your thread - I just used WD40 - and it has come up quite nice like - a year near on later barrel and engine look kinda ok

- shame I couldnt be bothered waiting for the frame powder coat cos frames whats really letting it down..( ok an the plastics too.. )

I am vaguely considering dropping the engine again and geyting it coated... but it was gonna take 3 weeks.. an I will probably smash it on a rock anyway...

Hel's flywheel cover looks nice tho - I am considering goin to a paint shop an buying pink fluro paint to spray things that might fall off...

today I had a lucky break - massive rain storm here on todays ride.. and what to I see when I "stopped for a rest" in what was once a dry stream bed? my sprocket cover washed up against some rocks leaves! lost it about 3 months ago! result!!!

must say if I was in the UK I might buy one of Hel's AR's - but really it would be wasted on me - cos I will find the only bamboo in the east midlands guaranteed! :D
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong