coolant bleed

Maintained by mods and admins. but contains all the answers to all those questions that get asked over and over and over . .
shanejohn
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
coolant bleed

Post by shanejohn » 05 Mar 2017, 19:44

Hello I'm hoping someone can advise me on the coolant bleeding procedure , I have recently rebuilt a mkII crm I acquired, I topped up the radiator and opened the bleed bolt on the water pump until the coolant started to run out... thereafter closed the radiator cap and tightened the bleeder bolt but after about 8 minutes of idling the temp light came on , I immediately shut the engine off ,I'm not certain if the thermostat is opening or if the bike needs to be moving forward to ensure the temp light stays off but either way I'm afraid to do any damage until I'm certain I've followed the correct filling and bleeding procedure , I'd appreciate any advice regarding this.
P.S. I did look through the FAQ before posting my question without any luck

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: coolant bleed

Post by fallenmikethebike » 05 Mar 2017, 20:13

Hi, if you crack open the rad cap and there's water in there, the rads are full. These bikes are notoriously quick at boiling over. For serious off road most of us have fitted a 12v computer fan on one rad.
Take the bike out for a short circular run around, then gradually increase the running time.
Idling is always bad on these bikes for the temperature regulation.
Good luck.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

shanejohn
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by shanejohn » 05 Mar 2017, 20:22

thank you kindly for your response Mike , I think the fan is a great idea that's what I intend to do with mine

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 05 Mar 2017, 22:15

A magnetic drive fan is best, as their unaffected by water ingress, either a 50mm, or 75mm. Wire it directly into the ignition circuit, you can add an in-line fuse if it eases any fears about shorting out.
Mike
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!