No spark

Maintained by mods and admins. but contains all the answers to all those questions that get asked over and over and over . .
Motorbod1
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
No spark

Post by Motorbod1 » 22 Apr 2018, 19:43

Hi all. I am new on here so forgive me. I have looked at the faqs but I must be being dumb as I can’t find the answers to my question.
I have a mk3 that I took to Exmoor a couple of weeks ago. Great day out by the way. Anyway no problems whilst there. I got it back and like a fool let our valetor power wash the mud off. Bad move I know. Anyway now I have no spark. I have tried the coil on a friends ktm and that seems fine. I have no neutral light as the previous owner has changed the clocks. I want to start from the magneto. What readings should I get from the 3 phases and the pickups. Also what should I be getting out of the regulator. Amy assistance greatly appreciated as I have spent hours so far and not got anywhere.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: No spark

Post by knackeredMk1 » 22 Apr 2018, 21:32

You have a short somewhere in your wiring. Maybe your side stand switch or the kill switch?

Motorbod1
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Motorbod1 » 22 Apr 2018, 22:17

Hi knackeredmk1.
I checked continuity with the stand switch as it’s been disconnected. All good as far as I can tell. I have bypassed both ignition and kill switch But that makes no diffence. Can I check for voltage at the coil? Should it pulse when being kicked if so I assume 12 v

Motorbod1
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Motorbod1 » 25 Apr 2018, 21:59

Hi knackered Mk1. Thanks for your input. You were right I did have a short in the aftermarket digital dash that the previous owner fitted. I found it by removing the rectifier and putting a small 12v battery to the red and green wire where the rectifier normally plugs in. I had unplugged the ecu first ! I could tell instantly but the way it sparked as I touched the lead to the battery there was a short. I then unplugged things until it stopped sparking when connected. This was the ignition switch which I had previously bypassed but the dash was wired into the loom side so until it was unplugged made no difference. I look forward to putting it back together and enjoying it very soon. Thanks again. Carl.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 25 Apr 2018, 22:08

8-)