LED Indicators

Maintained by mods and admins. but contains all the answers to all those questions that get asked over and over and over . .
knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
LED Indicators

Post by knackeredMk1 » 12 Apr 2013, 18:51

Courtesy of muaythaimaniac -

I recently changed all my indicators on my Mk2 to LEDs - I also changed the flasher unit to an electronic version (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flasher-Relay ... 337885511e) to ensure the flash rate was correct. Once I had changed them I was extremely baffled when I found that no matter whether I indicated left or right, all the indicators flashed at the same time like hazard lights

After checking the wiring diagram I found that the turn signal lamp in the instrument cluster is not what I class a normal lamp circuit (One side+ and the other side-)... The CRM uses a system that means that either side of the lamp can be + dependent on whether the left hand or right hand indicators are used... the - then back feeds through the opposite side... It doesnt matter whether this method does not make sense.. you only want the important bit... how can you fix it the really easy way is to take the instrument panel indicator lamp out (bodge job ) or do the diode mod shown below. It requires very basic soldering skills and thats about it:

Tools required:
Pliers
Soldering iron and solder
socket/spanner to remove light fairing

Materials required:
2x diodes (I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5X-1N5822-Sch ... 1e77fcc16c ... way higher rating than I really needed but who cares for £1.20 )
Heat shrink (or tape if not available)
15cm of spare cable (car cable is fine)

Time required:
1-2 hrs maximum

How to complete mod:

1. remove headlight fairing (if you are not able to do this, I would think the job is a bit too technical for you

2.pull indicator lamp from back of instrument panel (it has an orange and a blue cable going to it). If you are unsure whether it is correct, start the bike and turn on indicator

3. Take 2x diodes and twist them together as shown (the end with the line must be in the same direction as the picture - this mod will not work otherwise!!!!!!)

4. Leaving enough cable to strip and solder, cut the orange and the blue wire going to the lamp. With the lamp now removed, solder the diode to the one leg of the lamp (doesn't matter which one) and then solder a short extension wire to the other leg of the lamp

5. Solder the one leg of the diode to the blue wire and the orange wire to the other diode

As you can see below, I have used heat shrink to cover the joints - if this is not available you can use tape (I feel that heat shrink provides a better moisture barrier

6. You have just connected both of the + sides from the indicators ... you now need to connect the - side. The green wires on the MK2 and MK3 are the - wires. You will see that there is a green cable that goes into a push connector just underneath/in front of the instrument cluster. You need to pull this out and solder the extended leg of the lamp to it

once you have done this, push it back into the connector

7. Tape up all exposed parts (I also use tie wraps to make sure that the tape doesn't come loose)

8. Before you reassemble, start up the bike and test the indicators all work correctly. Once you have established that they do, reassemble the bike and go and enjoy your new LED indicators