gearbox oil

chris1971
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm mk2,2
gearbox oil

Post by chris1971 » 24 Feb 2016, 11:50

i have been using the silkoline lite gearbox oil and not had any problems . only thing i get is a dragging clutch when cold . was thinking about using fully synthetic ATF as o lot of the motocross boys are using it . they say its thinner and puts less stress on gthe clutch etc . would ATF be ok in my mk2 crm . i use it once a week just now and its used hard off road

andrew19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 250 MK3
Re: gearbox oil

Post by andrew19 » 24 Feb 2016, 23:04

I believe many CRM owners use ATF - I do but can't remember whether it was fully synthetic!

Check in FAQs there are many useful topics.

This one is for oils: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8617

chris1971
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm mk2,2

Post by chris1971 » 25 Feb 2016, 19:21

cheers bud . keep forgeting about the FAQ's lol

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 25 Feb 2016, 22:01

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 28 Feb 2016, 14:51

Someone quote me if I'm wrong but when I changed to fully synthetic oil for the gearbox I also put new etc clutch plates in & I got clutch slip , looking back on that and having the same problem when changing to fully synthetic on an R1 I blamed the EBC plates BUT I think it was the steels that go between the friction plates were worn and this was made worse by the fully synthetic oil , I on this rebuild I've also bought new springs .
Basically try the fully synthetic oil & if you have problems you know a probable cause , I use a decent semi synthetic gearbox oil I get from leisure trail and will change it regularly

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 28 Feb 2016, 17:27

jompy wrote:Someone quote me if I'm wrong but when I changed to fully synthetic oil for the gearbox I also put new etc clutch plates in & I got clutch slip , looking back on that and having the same problem when changing to fully synthetic on an R1 I blamed the EBC plates BUT I think it was the steels that go between the friction plates were worn and this was made worse by the fully synthetic oil , I on this rebuild I've also bought new springs .
Basically try the fully synthetic oil & if you have problems you know a probable cause , I use a decent semi synthetic gearbox oil I get from leisure trail and will change it regularly
+1, the additives that give the protection,can coat the plates and make them slip, though not as much as my mate when he put filter oil in the gearbox :roll: :roll:
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

warloks
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by warloks » 28 Feb 2016, 20:33

i use ATF had no problems