top end refresh and jetting question

chris1971
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm mk2,2
top end refresh and jetting question

Post by chris1971 » 05 Mar 2016, 21:46

Hi chaps . was out last sunday with the hillbillys doing some woods enduro and a bit of bing bashing . bike was running really well but the last hour she started running lean . revs were hanging on a bit when i revved the bike . tried adjusting the air screw etc and noticed it turned very easily , so easy it felt it could vibrate out . any roads no matter how much i wound it in or out my crm was running lean . long story short i thought everything was ok so began my 4 mile run back to the van . by the time i got there she was rattling like a bastard . next day done a compresion test and it was very low so decided to pull the head and barrel of . plug was a powdery white colour and the barrel was scored really bad . had one of my mates who does re-bores etc have a look and he said it was bad but fixable . i have had to go up 1.75 mm oversize to make sure i have the perfect repair . i take it my worn o ring on the air screw is whats made her run lean . i run pre-mix at the correct mix but left my jetting standard with no problem in over a year of fairly hard use . my mate said i should really be thinking of going up a few sizes on my main jet thats 128 . any guys had this size of re-bore ?? and what jet size did you use . :BB

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: top end refresh and jetting question

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Mar 2016, 22:32

All the signs of running lean. The question is why?

Has it been running fine until this trip? There has been a change somewhere in the intake or the exhaust.

The standard max bore size is 2.00mm so 1.75mm is fine. I did a rebore to 2.25mm but that was a special piston.

chris1971
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by chris1971 » 06 Mar 2016, 00:08

hi knackered , yeah bikes been A1 . total rebuild a year and a half ago with new crank seals etc . checked the rubber inlet connector and thats fine . split the carb and both jets are clean and the carb bowl is clean . think its the mixture screw o ring . would a worn o ring cause such a change to the mixture

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 06 Mar 2016, 00:42

Mmmmm strange one if everything is set up right wrong set up would make it run poo tbh, and as for white plug that ain't healthy
VIVA LA CRM!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 06 Mar 2016, 09:46

It might be worth checking the float level, and fuel tap filter, a lack of incoming fuel would weaken the mixture and allow air to be drawn in.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 07 Mar 2016, 21:44

and check crank seals!
Generator side would cause lean condition. Clutch side would suck in oil or pressurise gearbox.

chris1971
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by chris1971 » 08 Mar 2016, 14:22

I rebuilt the engine october 2014 and the bike wasnt really used until may 2015 . used honda seals as i am a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like this . i would hope i would get more life out of genuine honda parts , all the same you never can tell when any engine part might fail lol . got my barrel back last night from Paul at DMC and it looks lovely just waiting on base gasket , small end bearing and 4 shiney new cylinder base nuts coming so i can stick her back together . head gasket looks to be fine but just to be sure when i use the old gasket i give it a very light dusting of mat black stove paint to help things along .

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 08 Mar 2016, 18:46

chris1971 wrote:I rebuilt the engine october 2014 and the bike wasnt really used until may 2015 . used honda seals as i am a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like this . i would hope i would get more life out of genuine honda parts , all the same you never can tell when any engine part might fail lol . got my barrel back last night from Paul at DMC and it looks lovely just waiting on base gasket , small end bearing and 4 shiney new cylinder base nuts coming so i can stick her back together . head gasket looks to be fine but just to be sure when i use the old gasket i give it a very light dusting of mat black stove paint to help things along .
OCD & your using the old head gasket !! buy a new one tight arse :D

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 08 Mar 2016, 19:55

fook that they are metal and good to go again init!

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 08 Mar 2016, 20:07

i was always lead to believe you could only use them once , the DT head gasket on the other hand was copper so you heated it cherry red & used it again

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 08 Mar 2016, 20:10

yeah probably only supposed to be a 1 shot but I have heard people use them more than once.
If you are just doing rings or piston you an just leave the head on and remove the barrel and head complete.

chris1971
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by chris1971 » 11 Mar 2016, 21:43

FFs lads im scottish . head gasket is fine . had a few MX bikes and done this trick everytime with no problems lol

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 12 Mar 2016, 09:31

As long as they aren't rusty or bent then they generally are fine to use again.

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 12 Mar 2016, 12:15

Old ones are fine if in good condition i had one of knackereds ones on for weston :)
I have a new one fitted now that i did question fitting lol
VIVA LA CRM!

chris1971
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by chris1971 » 12 Mar 2016, 21:10

happy days . put the old girl back together today . spent most of the day doing it as i tend to get a bit hashy when i power on so took plenty of time . only problem was the power valve flap . the guy who done my rebore said he had it in place whilst doing the work and there were no issues of it fowling my rings . tried the piston in the bore before fitting it all together and moved it up thru the power valve flap feeling for any sort of resistance . found that when the valve was nearly closed position it was just catching the top ring slightly so attacked it with the drill and a big finishing flap grinder . spent about an hour cleaning everything up and blowing crud out the barrel ports etc . got the tank on about 6 tonight and gave her a couple of kicks . she fired up no problems and sat ticking over on the stand for about ten minutes . no rattles , no leaks so i took her out for a gentle ride . have to say i am amazed at the compresion she has now . the resistance on the compresion stroke thru the kickstart made me smile lol . hopefully tomorrow i can get a few hours running her in gently before giving it large .