Scottoiler

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM
Scottoiler

Post by xstian81 » 27 Mar 2016, 13:31

I'm thinking about fitting a Scottoiler to my CRM. I lube the chain after every ride and clean it every so often, probably not enough, it's not the most enjoyable job and after just one ride it looks as bad as it did before.

Has anyone fitted one to their dirt bike? I have read quite a few negative comments, but all seem to be from people who haven't got one fitted and I can't find many comments from people who have fitted them. Is there something blatantly obvious that I'm missing, other than the price?

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: Scottoiler

Post by jompy » 27 Mar 2016, 16:54

Hiya bud
It's been mentioned in the past that when using a scottoiler to a dirtbike the oil tends to mix with the dirt & turn to a cutting compound which is also why a lot of people use heavy non o-ring chains because the o-rings don't last long with all the dirt

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 Mar 2016, 17:23

My eldest son had one fitted to a road bike [ A.T. 750 ] and it greatly extended the life of his chains, but for off road I'd probably pass.
Personally I buy the best X ring chain I can get, replace the sprockets at the same time, and ride for a year adjusting occasionally, brush some used ATF fluid on after washing, if that's what you run in the engine.Don't point the jet wash lance directly at the chains " O " rings. Fit the soft link if there's that option,it stops that buffering on the split link I.M.O.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 28 Mar 2016, 09:29

I tend to find any chain lube seems to attract dirt. People who have fitted them to a road bike say, when they first installed the oiler it actually cleaned the dirty chain as well as oiling it. In fact I believe it makes quite a mess of the back wheel for the first couple of weeks until all the old lube and dirt has been flung off the chain. Of course there is a lot more dirt off road than on road, so I'm not sure how the oiler will cope with this.

So we can't think of any obvious reasons the oiler can't be fitted then? It's just whether it will do a better job than just lubing the chain with the odd clean.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 28 Mar 2016, 10:20

Guinea pig :!: :lol: Please tell how you get on. :BB
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!