Damaged fork anodising

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Damaged fork anodising

Post by Gammakeith » 29 Nov 2017, 17:48

Dear all,

I'm aiming on tarting my AR up next year as a first (early) retirement project. I keep looking at the nasty corrosion on the fork uppers and wonder what to do for the best. It looks like its too deep to turn off by lathe and get re-anodised (or even powder coated). I know I can swap to CR legs but most of the ones available on ebay look pretty manky as well and I'd rather keep standard if possible. Whilst pondering options I noticed this the other day;

https://www.factoryarme.com/forkshrink-360/

Looks like an interesting possibility to cover the damage up. Has anyone tried that approach?

Keith.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Damaged fork anodising

Post by knackeredMk1 » 29 Nov 2017, 18:54

You could also get them powder coated. They can be re-anodised but depends on condition and how much work required to get back to bare uncorroded metal.

For fork alternative look in FAQs ....

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Re: Damaged fork anodising

Post by Gammakeith » 30 Nov 2017, 17:03

Thanks! The problem is that I have quite deep corrosion damage on the outside at about fork seal level. I would have to take a reasonable amount of metal off to get to a decent finish. I have a lathe so with nothing to lose I may well give that a go when they are apart.

I read through the FAQs but was still a bit confused. It stated that the 1991 CR125 should the closest and pretty much a straight swap. I had a look last night on ebay but the only the set listed from that year had a completely different brake mount (eBay item number:272115505078). Others listed look closer but if I end up going that route I'm thinking it may be better to look at some with the old parts in my hand! Its a bit frustrating as the chrome on the tubes is near perfect so its only a cosmetic issue.....

Keith