Model value and reliability

bobbler
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Model value and reliability

Post by bobbler » 05 Dec 2020, 18:09

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm due delivery of my mk2 in the near future and while feeling like a kid at Christmas the more I read about these bikes, the more it seems that the different models can attract quite a big difference in value (AR = most $$$).

Has anyone got a guide for recent values for the mk1, mk2, mk3, AR etc. and is there a a better model to go for reliability wise and parts availability?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Model value and reliability

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Dec 2020, 20:30

Price depends very much on condition.

In terms of reliability - Mk1 is by far the most reliable, Mk3 is next, Mk2s are less reliable and ARs are the least reliable. Most of the significant model related problems relate to ECUs failing and this is most often due to Reg/Recs failing. The ARs have a heap of other specific parts relating the Active Radical system that need looking after.

bobbler
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by bobbler » 06 Dec 2020, 11:36

Thanks, Is there an upgrade for the mk2 reg/rec and ecu? I used to own a firestorm and the owners were always swapping reg/recs for mosfet / r1 models as well as the manual cct conversion. I guess because I'm planning to use mine for both commuting during the week and green laning on a weekend I would like to make it as reliable as possible.

Price wise I know condition will have an affect but I'm seeing bikes range from around £1100 up to £4k and I suppose I was wondering if someone got a bargain or others were over valuing?

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 06 Dec 2020, 11:57

I've owned my Mk3 for 12 years and it has only ever broken down and left me stranded once and that was due to the engine kill switch on the handlebars failing. I burnt the clutch out a couple of years back riding through some really deep mud, but that was probably my own poo riding style. I still rode it home, but that was the end of the trails for that day.

I have done a lot of preventative maintenance in that time to make it reliable, if fact it is going through a refresh at the moment.

A lot of the reliability issues will relate to the age of the bike and how well it been treated by the previous owner.

Make sure you get some photos up when it arrives.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 06 Dec 2020, 16:14

bobbler wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 11:36
Thanks, Is there an upgrade for the mk2 reg/rec and ecu? I used to own a firestorm and the owners were always swapping reg/recs for mosfet / r1 models as well as the manual cct conversion. I guess because I'm planning to use mine for both commuting during the week and green laning on a weekend I would like to make it as reliable as possible.

Price wise I know condition will have an affect but I'm seeing bikes range from around £1100 up to £4k and I suppose I was wondering if someone got a bargain or others were over valuing?
There are no upgrades to ECUs though there are aftermarket Reg/Recs and ECUs available.

You are correct about valuations.