Set up for off-roading.

Andy250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Set up for off-roading.

Post by Andy250 » 03 Oct 2021, 19:55

Hi guys I have a MK2 she’s 30yrs old now.
I know you cannot really compare it to modern day enduro bikes, but has anyone done any changes or mods to make them more competitive with bikes of today, any tips tricks suspension changes ect.
Thinking about hardcore difficult technical off-road stuff.
Also any tips to make them more waterproof for deeper water crossings.
Thanks

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Set up for off-roading.

Post by knackeredMk1 » 04 Oct 2021, 09:28

The best suspension performance modifications you can do is to get an aftermarket shock eg Hagon; and change the yokes to a conventional set up and fit some XR400 forks. The issue with swapping the type of forks is that there are NO performance USB upgrades that keep the same fork length. You can swap for MX/enduro forks but the new forks will be longer and thus effect the geometry. (+ you also have to get them sprung and revalved to suit the bike weight etc etc)

You can apparently change the fork springs but you need to check the lengths as if they are too long/short you will have all sorts of preload issues. The spring rates will be a matter of trial and error as I don't know what the originals are.

If you change one end then you have to change the other, otherwise you will unbalance the bike.

You also have the weight issue to deal with....

Waterproofing is not an issue. Seal up the generator cover (not strictly necessary but worth it to keep everything clean) and tape up the exposed connectors and you're done.