More questions from the inquisitive

Sarge69
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
More questions from the inquisitive

Post by Sarge69 » 01 Aug 2008, 14:15

I'm just thinking through the reasons for the seizure that happened to the poor mark 2.
i'm just wondering if it is receiving sufficient oil in the mix and whether it would be better to covert to premix.
Is there a way to adjust the oil feed to the cylinder and how do you know monitor this, is it a matter of checking the smoke level and checking the plug after a ride? haven't really looked for an adjustment, thoght i'd ask the experts first!!
Really worried about melting another piston as it's annoying enough to melt one, let alone another one as soon as it's re-assembled!!
It's been a while since i've done any work on 2 strokes, i mainly have 4 stroke road bikes.

Anyway let me know of anybodies experiences regarding this.

Kieron

kernow krusty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: More questions from the inquisitive

Post by kernow krusty » 01 Aug 2008, 20:21

Hi Sarge,
theres quite a long topic that ran about 3 months back following the same question from someone else..Im sure its in Technical, so spend 10 mins scrolling through.
To be honest, the oil pump system is fine when all working and saves a load of hassle with premix ratios.
Id be inclined to rebuild it then do a 'plug chop'. Google it and it'll explain. the oil pump alignment/setting instructions are also here somewhere.
can you give more details, maybe a pic or 2 of the piston and head? that can tell you lots about the reason for the seizure.
Regards KK
I phoned the Ramblers today, but the bloke on the phone just went on and on....

Sarge69
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Sarge69 » 01 Aug 2008, 22:59

I think the oil pump system is working OK, just needs some adjustment, i will search throught the forum for that info.
Thanks for that.
I will also take some photos of the piston as well.

CRMoto
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by CRMoto » 04 Aug 2008, 20:57

Hi! (On a mk3 at least, prob/poss the same on other mk's??) With the throttle full open there is a mark on the pump cam (behind the plastic cover on the right of the engine held on with 2 screws) that should line up with the "pointer" that is present and fairly obvious with the cover removed. Hope this helps? :)

CRMoto
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by CRMoto » 04 Aug 2008, 21:00

Yes, almost certain this is the same for the mk2! Good luck!

dnf daly
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by dnf daly » 04 Aug 2008, 22:48

[quote="CRMoto"]Hi! (On a mk3 at least, prob/poss the same on other mk's??) With the throttle full open there is a mark on the pump cam (behind the plastic cover on the right of the engine held on with 2 screws) that should line up with the "pointer" that is present and fairly obvious with the cover removed. Hope this helps? :)[/quote]

mk 1 is exactly the same