What you can carry on a plane...

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
What you can carry on a plane...

Post by SkidMark » 01 Oct 2009, 19:18

I remember a discussion at some point about taking engine oil and other stuff on a plane with your checked luggage. Some people thought you can't and some thought you could. I will tell you what I just took (with permission) on a BA flight:
4 x 1 litre suspension oil
1 x 1 litre can air filter oil
1 rear shock filled with oil but not pressurized (I didn't even try that one!!!)
3 x 16gram CO2 cartridges for a Tyre Inflator.

Oil is not a problem - despite popular belief it isn't usually classed as Hazardous Goods. I did shrink wrap the bottles really well - just in case of leakage. I never got asked about the shock - I had taped the valve to the side in case they thought it might be pressurized.

Hopefully this is helpful to those out there that don't have a quality bike shop down the road...

Regards

SkidMark
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: What you can carry on a plane...

Post by knackeredMk1 » 01 Oct 2009, 22:21

How's the revalved shock :?:

I could tell you some stories about travelling by airplane.

One happened about 4 months after 9/11 and relates to 'unauthorised articles' that I could of been severly 'gone over' for, occured at Heathrow. I used to travel all over the world in my job but have not done for five years so don't know the current form...............

When flying to the States after 9/11 they used to check you through the customs, as was usual before, but then put you through a more rigorous 'US' check which included taking your laptop to pieces, and any other large electrical item you were carrying, taking off you shoes etc etc - I'm sure they knew my inside leg measurement :!: . The security was so tight it seemed that the authorities didn't want you to travel at all and it took nearly 5 hours to go through interminable queues and more on occasion.

Just before this trip I happened across a well made and useful 3 inch blade stainless steel pruning knife. I thought this would make a good promotional item for my company and slipped it into my pocket. Next day I got dressed and packed and went to the airport. I went through all the usual check in proceedures, 'Did you pack your bags?', 'Have you got any items on this list?' etc etc. Then I got to the Customs X-ray and metal detectors - I put all my keys, coins, phone (which I kept in the usual pockets) in the little dish and walked through. I set off the alarm and they took me aside for the 'hand held metal detector'. They waved this around me and it went off at waist level where I had a medium sized brass belt buckle. They then waved me on and I gathered my stuff and walked on.

Whilst walking around the duty free area I happened to put my hand in my other pocket and felt the knife :!: .

In the end I threw it away in a bin. I was so lucky not to have been caught in the US inquisition. I really did not want 24 hours of interogation and the rubber glove treatment. I did think about reporting it to the UK customs officials but throwing it away seemed to be the simplest option to get my flight .........

Jonorow
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jonorow » 01 Oct 2009, 22:34

whikst on tour in the US in 2006, we flew out on nashville. In the airport we were told but the check-in desk to "leave your bags there and go through security"! at least half of the 60 people went through before someone thought to check a passport. The tour manager went spare at the airport staff, and was told "well you know whose bags thay are?" " no theres 60 people, it could be anyone's!" "it's ok they've gone through now"
so much for american security. There was also the Las vegas insident where my mates finger prints had changed since he flew out of the country 4 days before, so they wouldn't let him back in! well for a few hours anyway.
98 (94) CRM250 MK3
96 ST1100PT
99 NT650V Deauville (Gone to roads new)
http://www.rymcc.co.uk

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 02 Oct 2009, 04:44

knackeredMk1 wrote:How's the revalved shock :?: ...
Haven't installed it yet as I am waiting till I go back to UK at end of Oct to get the bearings etc I ordered from All Balls (one of the swingarm bearings was on it way out) . Really frustrating actually as I have a new helmet and Jacket that I can't wait to try out...

Regarding airport travel - Let the stories role....

While I was living the states I flew down from Ohio to Florida to work on a plane there. I was carrying some basic tools, screwdrivers, spanners, pliers, torque wrench etc. At this airport you where present as your check bags went through the the scannner. As my tool bag went through I could the see the lady checking them looking at the bag puzzled, like trying to figure something out... One of the other security ladies happened by and looked over her shoulder at the picture of my bag a I heard the words "Thats a torque wrench that it - isn't it sir?" she asked me . Turns out her husband was an aircraft engineer too!

This contrasts with a friend that was traveling with tools and the customs lady insisted that he was a salesman traveling with 'samples' of a product (and hence had to pay some kind of tax) she delayed him considerable that he only just made his connecting flight. What he had in his tool bag was a socket tray with a range of sockets sizes on!!!

:D
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CR500/CRM250MK3

Post by mudboots » 31 Mar 2013, 00:03

I have carried a lot of parts from Australia to Thailand no Problem but not oils. I am wondering about what you said Skidmark about ( 1 rear shock filled with oil but not pressurized (I didn't even try that one!!!) ? I had another back shock for my MK1 as well as another motor and other things air freighted here to Australia from Japan as far as I can tell the back shock is still pressurized and I was going to take it in my suitcase when I head back to Thailand later this year is there a danger in doing so ?

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 31 Mar 2013, 19:40

On the info page of BA's website they have a very conclusive list of what can and can't be carried. Although it doesn't specifically list pressurized shocks I concluded from the restrictions on gas canisters that they do list that it wouldn't be allowed. Bear in mind that not all luggage holds are pressurized like the cabin is. Best is to check with your airline.

Cheers
SkidMark
AR's rock!!!

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CR500/CRM250MK3

Post by mudboots » 14 Apr 2013, 03:32

Well after looking in to it a bit more, I asked about when guys airlifted there bikes and was told they just get loaded no problem, And was said that the higher you go the less pressure. ........Just the same I will send the Shock in a box with some other parts by courier ;) rather than have it on my plane.