Noob question?? please dont hurt me! :)

josh mk 2 crm
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Noob question?? please dont hurt me! :)

Post by josh mk 2 crm » 01 Dec 2009, 00:58

Hello

Ok I might get the firing squad for this 1 . . .

I don’t know if the 2-stroke oil warning light works on my crm, I know there’s a sight gauge on the side of the frame but when that disappears is there any oil left in the tank???

I don’t want to run the risk of running out of oil while in the woods, so I am topping it up before it gets to the bottom of the sight gauge!

I have been very close to the bottom of the gauge and the oil warning light hasn’t kicked in?? Should it???

Many thanks

Josh

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Noob question?? please dont hurt me! :)

Post by fallenmikethebike » 01 Dec 2009, 09:44

josh mk 2 crm wrote:Hello

Ok I might get the firing squad for this 1 . . .

I don’t know if the 2-stroke oil warning light works on my crm, I know there’s a sight gauge on the side of the frame but when that disappears is there any oil left in the tank???

I don’t want to run the risk of running out of oil while in the woods, so I am topping it up before it gets to the bottom of the sight gauge!

I have been very close to the bottom of the gauge and the oil warning light hasn’t kicked in?? Should it???

Many thanks

Josh
What do you reckon lads, the stocks at the very least.
Josh, tempting as it is to say "your right as you are " , your MK2 holds about 1ltr of 2t oil, the sight glass is to let you know your at the TOP of the chamber.
There should be absolute shed loads of posts regarding the above.
Your, MK2 should use oil at about 100ml to 5 ltrs of fuel ,roughly.
So the tank holds enough oil, roughly, for 50 ltrs of fuel.
The tank brims 11ltrs from empty, inc res.
I.M.O., You should be fine to go and play in the woods for a couple of days, then check it.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 08 Feb 2012, 12:42

is this oil warning light spoken of a red light on the top RHS of the speedo?

looks like still oil in my autolube. but this light has started flashing..

actually the other day it started - ( but went away ) seemed to be at high RPM it would light..

not sure if this warnign light is for gearbox oil? - i did remove the screw which is for checking gear box level and some oil did come out - altho it did seem somewhat watery.. ( not sure about this - is the type of oil used? - I might do a service since I have done around 1000 Km on the bike now..

PS please dont hurt me!
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM250 Mk3

Post by njhardy » 09 Feb 2012, 06:10

Red light flashes for low autolube oil, not gearbox- does this when there is still about 1/4 Ltr in the tank according to mine, so this should get you home if it starts flashing. Only saw it come on when I had emptied the oil tank after the rebore a couple of weeks ago and forgot to top it up again!! -Ooops..

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 09 Feb 2012, 09:28

When light first comes on there is still quite a lot of oil in the tank 1/4-1/3.

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 12 Feb 2012, 01:36

simple test , drain all the 2 stroke oil out of the bike , mix some premix up (semi synthetic 40 : 1 full synthetic 50 : 1 )and run on that start the bike up and see if the warning light comes on , if it does start adding 2 stroke oil to the frame/oil tank if the light goes off everything is OK .drain the premix from the tank add neat petrol ride and enjoy , save the premixed fuel for washing air filter
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 12 Feb 2012, 04:42

or just hook up a 9v battery, turn the ignition on and do the filling thing.... :roll:
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.