Odd noise - Lumps in tube

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Odd noise - Lumps in tube

Post by Gammakeith » 07 Sep 2010, 13:33

I had an odd noise from the bike that turned out to have an unusual cause. After a bit of investigation I narrowed it down to a clear rattle from the front tyre when spinning it. Once the tyre was off the cause is clear! The inner tube has three or so hardish lumps inside that are rattling around inside. The odd thing is that the lumps are much larger than the valve hole. Thus, I assume they are tyre sealant that has gone off (they feel hard but are not brittle). Anyone else had this problem? Its a lovely heavy duty tube with no repairs but I see no way of getting the bits out so looks like I'll have to replace it!

Keith

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Odd noise - Lumps in tube

Post by fallenmikethebike » 07 Sep 2010, 18:05

:D I did hear of someone actually leaving a tyre lever inside a tyre, when replacing a tyre :roll: :roll: and he did comment that the the front end was a little strange feeling, FFS :lol: :lol:
But, no, I have run with tyre seal gloop for years now, and have never had any problem.
Oh, I did once manage to put a Pirelli MT43 rear on, with a big bundle of literature inside it, and that also felt slightly vague.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 07 Sep 2010, 18:37

Gammakeith wrote:I had an odd noise from the bike that turned out to have an unusual cause. After a bit of investigation I narrowed it down to a clear rattle from the front tyre when spinning it. Once the tyre was off the cause is clear! The inner tube has three or so hardish lumps inside that are rattling around inside. The odd thing is that the lumps are much larger than the valve hole. Thus, I assume they are tyre sealant that has gone off (they feel hard but are not brittle). Anyone else had this problem? Its a lovely heavy duty tube with no repairs but I see no way of getting the bits out so looks like I'll have to replace it!

Keith
I've got a heavy duty rear tube in, and thats got a lump rattling around inside the same as you have. Been there for a long time now with no problems :)
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Gammakeith » 07 Sep 2010, 20:15

Nice to know I'm not the only sufferer! Can you notice the noise from yours when running? Very irritating on mine!!

Keith

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 07 Sep 2010, 20:41

Gammakeith wrote:Nice to know I'm not the only sufferer! Can you notice the noise from yours when running? Very irritating on mine!!

Keith
No Kieth, i only notice it when i change tyres, or roll the wheel when it's off the bike :)
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2