Sprocket sizing

Cranky
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Sprocket sizing

Post by Cranky » 15 Dec 2010, 00:31

I am a student nurse, and as part of my placement I will be asked to get out and about in the community. However, this will entail riding in and around 'the sticks' of Greater Manchester / Lancashire. MY CRM was primarily purchased for use on the road for which I have been told that a 14/42 sprocket set-up is ideal.

However, using this set-up I feel that sometimes as I am going through the powerbands in first and second gear, it feels as though the front end is going to lift and throw me off. Plus added to the equation I cannot hear the revs as I hit the throttle as I am hearing impaired and so therefore have to rely on throttle 'feel', I am also 6' 1" tall and 16 - 17 stone.

What I am looking for is sprocket set up that is relatively slow through first and second but then the power to 'kick in' from third gear onwards.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

AlanH
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Re: Sprocket sizing

Post by AlanH » 15 Dec 2010, 13:11

You won't get what you are looking for I'm afraid. You are asking for high gearing in 1st and 2nd and then low gearing in the rest. If the bike feels like it's going to wheelie, back off the throttle a bit - but you know that already. You could try fitting a smaller rear sprocket (40 tooth maybe) to calm it down a bit in the lower gears, but this will make it less responsive in the upper gears too.

I can imagine riding a CRM without being able to hear the revs properly is a bit of a challenge. Okay, it's a lot more flexible than many other 2 strokes but still not ideal in terms of getting bogged down or opening the throttle and getting rather more than you expected as a response.

Another option may be to practice wheelying intentionally (not on a public road of course) so you get a feel for how the bike responds and how controllable it is. That way you may be happier living with the liveliness in the lower gears 'cos you know what to expect.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 15 Dec 2010, 16:38

:D Stop stretching the throttle cable, if that's picking the front end up with that gearing that's a good un you've got.
Yes smaller back sprocket, or, put an additional head gasket on, that would certainly tame her, but could rise to other issues.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Cranky
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Cranky » 15 Dec 2010, 17:53

Thanks Al and Mike (again !)

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 15 Dec 2010, 20:21

I must have a bad un cos i cant get mine to lift! Got same gearing as you too. Think i may have a power valve problem, its a pretty gutless bike or could be my limp wrist

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by xander77 » 19 Dec 2010, 18:50

I posted about this a while ago, I am on 13 /48 now and the front end still does not want to come up? power drops really sharply at higher revs?

Odd that some one on standard gearing is worried the front en will lift and mine does not want to? like two completly different bikes?

[quote="twistednuts"]I must have a bad un cos i cant get mine to lift! Got same gearing as you too. Think i may have a power valve problem, its a pretty gutless bike or could be my limp wrist[/quote]

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 19 Dec 2010, 19:04

:( The trouble is, being 2 strokes, there are just a lot more things that can seriously impedes the bikes ability to perform to it,s maximum potential, all of which need to checked and or fixed to experience that full ooomph.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!