can someone direct me

spit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
can someone direct me

Post by spit » 13 Jul 2011, 22:43

Hi

New to the site. I've had a look around but not seen what I'm looking for yet...

Can someone direct me to the threads that deal with putting a CRM engine into a CR please?

Much appreciated

Spit

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: can someone direct me

Post by knackeredMk1 » 13 Jul 2011, 22:54

None on here with regards to specifics but it has been done several times with both steel and aluminium frames. Things to remember are that there a lot more ancillary 'bits' with a CRM engine than a CR. e.g 2 stroke oil tank, PV servo, lighting related things .... Also that CRM engines will not fit directly into a CR frame and CR suspension will probably need 'softening' (depending on the ride desired).

The quality of conversions is variable if you get my drift ;) .

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 13 Jul 2011, 23:16

as a guide line if you decide to try it, it will take twice as long as you originally anticipated and cost even more than you could imagine

good luck and keep us posted
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

Jeram
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jeram » 15 Jul 2011, 00:29

using that rule... I should have finished my build last month and have an extra thousands bucks in the bank :P

yes totaly agree.

also:
much better off spending your money on great suspension, breaks and wheels... make your chassis as good as a steel cr250 unit...
could even alter steering head angle for a couple hundred bucks.

if its purely for aesthetics then I cant help you there bud.

spit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by spit » 15 Jul 2011, 13:38

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to know because it's mentioned in July's TBM that it's not too difficult a job & results are better than modern tackle but the opinion here is that it is a big job, & that's beyond me
Thanks for the informative responses
Regards
Mark

Jeram
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jeram » 21 Jul 2011, 08:38

if your an engineer/machinist you will find it to be a piece of cake

If you do engine rebuilds with your eyes closed, are handy with a welder and have friends with lathes etc you will find it challenging but not imposible

If your an average joe blog bike enthusiast then Id say you'd find it near impossible unless you had a deep wallet to pay the above mentioned people to help, or if you know some of the above mentioned people.

Also the CR and CRM ignitions/electrics are completely different, youd need to wire the bike up from scratch.