Deep gouges in fork uppers - dangerous?

Hallsy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Deep gouges in fork uppers - dangerous?

Post by Hallsy » 22 Sep 2011, 09:58

Since stripping the paint off of the uppers from my Mk2 forks I have started to prep then for paint, but on closer inspection I'm wondering if I should maybe look for some better condition uppers, or maybe some CR forks.

I've got no problem doing the prep work and repainting them (although I'd have preferred anodise if they were in good condition), but one leg has a number of deep scuffs, some as deep as around 1.5mm. I've looked down them and you can't see any dents or distortion on the inside, but wondering if deep gouges would cause a potential weak spot. Maybe leading to cracking/failure.

Any thoughts? Or am I worrying about nothing!!??

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Deep gouges in fork uppers - dangerous?

Post by knackeredMk1 » 22 Sep 2011, 10:02

If the corrosion on the outside of the forks gets really bad then I have known of them being rejected at MOTs. But if the scrapes/dents are only 1.5mm deep then I don't think it is a problem.

Hallsy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Hallsy » 22 Sep 2011, 10:09

Hmm, I'll try to measure them accurately, doesn't sound a lot, but I doubt the wall thickness is a lot overall, maybe 2.5mm? I'm guessing though.

I've put an ad in wanted area in case anyone has some spare uppers that are in better condition that mine.

Had a quick look on ebay for CR forks but not loads around, and probably more than I want to pay at the mo!

Hallsy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Hallsy » 22 Sep 2011, 10:22

Just had a look with a straight edge, deepest one looks more like 1mm. Plus it's on the thickest section which looking again looks fairly thick, probably 4mm at least.

Panic over I'd say, I think they look worse now that I've stripped the paint off, as I can remember only seeing a couple of scrapes when they were painted, now they're stripped you can see lots of them. I'll fill the deep ones and see how much a coat of etch primer covers for the rest.