fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
stop cock look normal?

Post by fishtail » 20 Jan 2012, 13:02

:o

so I was running along wondering when I was going to hit reserve - and at 144 Km - engine goes a bit weird - then cuts out.. I'm coasting down the road - I hit reserve the switch..

nada!! luckily I stopped outside a guys house who was cleaning his shadow - he siphoned a bit of gas to get me to the petrol station...

I'm pretty sure I wasnt on reserve the whole time - any chance my reserve could be around the other way? -

it didnt sound like there was any petrol in there at all? just a small splash if at all!

1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

deano123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Two , mk2'S
Re: stop cock look normal?

Post by deano123 » 20 Jan 2012, 13:16

in that picture your fuel tap in on the "ON" postion you need to turn it 180 degrees for reserve

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 20 Jan 2012, 16:33

sure thats the on position, and when I went to reserve it was like no petrol in there,,

wondering if

I was half asleep and driving in reserve the whole time - ( but I really dont think so - as the switch is the same direction as my hornet - which I am familiar with - ie switching to reserve on the go is 2nd nature )

or - some crud in my tank was blocking reserve - ( i was at the side of a busy road - and couldnt hear too clearly - but I thought I could hear some sloshing - but like hardly anything..

I did wonder if the switch is somehow the other way round - but I can scratch that - cos I forgot this is the 2nd tank of gas - and it ran out at 133 the first time - and then I switched to reserve....

But After I put maybe a half pint of gas in , it started... - so either was no gas in before ( but I heard a tiny tiny splash?! ) or pouring the gas in dislodged something?
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 20 Jan 2012, 16:46

The filter and/or tube that's inside the fuel tap that does the reserve function is blocked. Take the tap off anf give it a really good clean. Also remove the crap that is in your fuel tank a the same time.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 20 Jan 2012, 17:06

dumbish question alert..

so its suggested to use water?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7050&p=44688&hilit= ... ank#p44688

to be honest I was just gonna use petrol? hmm and then pour it over a wide area? will evaporate?

scared if I use water it will add to the rust issue?

interseting what u said about the engine running lean.... ( ie fast idling - cos thats exactly what happened before it cut out! )

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 20 Jan 2012, 17:17

Best to use contact cleaner or brake cleaner to clean but water is OK if you leave it to dry before you put everything back together.

An engine will allways run lean for alittle while when it is starved of fuel. This is exactly what happens when the fuel level gets too low relative to the tap.

Jeram
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jeram » 21 Jan 2012, 23:51

thanks for the reminder I should clean my tank out before I fire it up in a couple weeks.

I could only imaging the crap in the bottom of the tank after the last owner.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 07 Jun 2012, 17:17

of course I never got around to cleaning tank out.... far more exciting things to do - fix brakes - exhaust etc..

but now I think ( is it possible ) that my reserve and on are reversed?!!! .

last week I was changing jets - left right and center... ofcourse I wasted a bit of petrol..

the significance of this didnt hit me until I ran out of gas!

I switched to reserve - and basically there was all but a splash of fuel in the tank.. ( ie the bike was still out of gas on reserve! )

I put some gas in ( lets skip the muttering and stomping 30 minutes each way to the gas station )

and basically "reserve" isn't clogged... and on is fine too..

so either my reserve is same as on -ie I dont have a reserve? - or they are reversed ? I guess I will have to drain tank in "reserve" when that runs out - switch to on to see...

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 Jun 2012, 17:38

Sounds like your 'on' has access to your 'reserve' so the bike runs out of petrol just like there is no reserve. Need a new tap.

cheb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cheb » 07 Jun 2012, 19:05

IME there's two differing heights of plastic pipe on the tank side of the tap, the higher for normal and the lower for reserve.

Maybe they've been reversed by a previous owner or removed altogether.

Might be worth putting some fuel in and draining it out by turning the tap to normal and then see what happens if you switch to reserve.

I'll see if I can find a photo to show the two pipes.

cheb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cheb » 07 Jun 2012, 19:10

The might both be covered by a plastic mesh filter.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 08 Jun 2012, 02:44

think I'm gonna drain it whilst on reserve -- then switch to on.. see if they are reversed.. cos I'm crystal that On goes below the reserve :(

I'd like to bet they've removed both pipes... or it's fecked!

thanks for the pics

( I havent named my bike yet - I was waiting to see what character she had - seems now I'm thinking either bridgette or bodgette? :lol: )

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 08 Jun 2012, 17:29

Given the history of your bike it will have been inscrutably altered.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 09 Jun 2012, 03:28

oh its inarguably immutably incredibly indelibly blessed ! ( by the bodge fairy! ) :P

and now my fork protectors are falling off - its started raining - so no doubt my broken clocks are gonna rust up!

my plastics are cracked! my swingarm has a chain groove in it.. and the crankcase has cracked! ( pay attention to that chain! )

Oh when will it end! :D

( and you think you got it BAD what a sad tale of woe ! :lol: )

( I'm gonna take the b@stard apart in July - found a powder coater's - and a complete set of plastics (new ) for 50 quid!

:idea: frankCRuMstein will live I tell you ! :idea:

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 09 Jun 2012, 12:50

fishtail wrote:oh its inarguably immutably incredibly indelibly blessed ! ( by the bodge fairy! ) :P

and now my fork protectors are falling off - its started raining - so no doubt my broken clocks are gonna rust up!

my plastics are cracked! my swingarm has a chain groove in it.. and the crankcase has cracked! ( pay attention to that chain! )

Oh when will it end! :D

( and you think you got it BAD what a sad tale of woe ! :lol: )

( I'm gonna take the b@stard apart in July - found a powder coater's - and a complete set of plastics (new ) for 50 quid!

:idea: frankCRuMstein will live I tell you ! :idea:
Put it down poor thing, it's cruel.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!