fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
reassurance on autolube and/or premix

Post by fishtail » 23 Jan 2012, 05:28

sorry to bombard this place with soooo many questions -

I read this locked thread on premix and autolube here..

basically I had the bike a week - only done 300Km on it so far - ( into 3rd tank of gas)

dont feel confident on the info I was told by the people who sold it me. (they didnt speak english and my chinese is OK - but a bit basic in terms of technical terms )

the gist of what I understood was I should put oil in the autolube ( need to use a funnel - he explained to me.. )

and he said I SHOULD also add oil in as premix - he said 50ml of oil to full tank of gas - i asked him why and he said it was "better"

( looks like 10 liters? attempting maths - thats err 200:1 ) ( 1 liter = 1000 mL so 10,000 / 50 = 200???)

premix I read was 40:1 to 50 :1 - so in 10 liters of fuel that would be? _________ ( please fill in the blanks?!)

what I will say is that I do have a bit of oily residue on my exhaust outlet...

bike also kicks alot of white smoke out when just started..

so I'm wondering why he's telling me to put oil in both the autolube and do the premix.

concerned of course as too little oil could be very expensive - seize - too much and we're fouling the plugs.. ( have to confess I last ran 2 stroke in 1986! cant remember bugger all about the mix amounts!
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: reassurance on autolube and/or premix

Post by fishtail » 23 Jan 2012, 05:32

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5274&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

( oops forgot to link to the post!!)
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Jan 2012, 18:27

Well, in this case, belt and braces is not the safest policy.
If you add more oil than the engine requires lots of things go wrong, including but not restricted to the following,
Excess exhaust gasses.
Gummed up working parts.
Possible seizure due to weakened mixture.
Plod on your case.
Increased cost, unnecessarily.
Decreased performance.
Constantly fouling plugs.
Local kids laughing at you, "here comes old stink wheels".
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 23 Jan 2012, 18:48

If the autolube wasn't working the little bit of oil you are adding would not have saved the engine. Instead the little bit of oil you are adding is gumming up the powervalve, your plug and your exhaust. Check that your oil pump is correctly set up anyway.

Your exhaust is loud because it needs repacking because of all the excess oil that has been going through your system. You need to do this.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 24 Jan 2012, 02:43

fallenmikethebike wrote: Local kids laughing at you, "here comes old stink wheels".
Mike
haha! this is true - I really have noticed that I stink of 2 stroke after getting off the thing!
knackeredMk1 wrote:If the autolube wasn't working the little bit of oil you are adding would not have saved the engine. Instead the little bit of oil you are adding is gumming up the powervalve, your plug and your exhaust. Check that your oil pump is correctly set up anyway.

Your exhaust is loud because it needs repacking because of all the excess oil that has been going through your system. You need to do this.
yep the local kids are also covering their ears! :shock:

and my rear swinger has got black oil drips on it!!

So I had a look at the manual ( section 4-5 and section 3-16 ) for the oil pump set up - check for air bubbles and see if it lines up. why do I always wanna work on the bike when its freezing?!!!

searched thru some old posts - exhaust packing has been discussed before..

also the expansion chamber was mentioned. ( drilling rivets off? ) . didnt realise there was packing in that.. actually I'm after a new expansion chamber - cos mine is pitted to hell and leaking thru some patch work...

found this link http://www.racespec.co.uk/acatalog/Exhaust_Packing.html how much do I need?

how long would this take? I'm working off the side of the street basically - wished I had a garage!!!!

nice one guys!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 24 Jan 2012, 06:55

just checked oil pump - the mark on the cable wheel (?) was about 5 mm shy of lining up - tweaked the cable adjuster - had some slack in it actually..

its just a line scored in the middle roughly???

ps u aint half right about excess oil!

hmmm and after a closer look at the exhaust port - maybe needs a new gasket on there?