watery lookin oil?!!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
watery lookin oil?!!

Post by fishtail » 08 Feb 2012, 13:01

this isnt lookign that healthy - bikes still got 1 week of warranty left.....

is it the oil? or something leaking inside?

( oil warning light on speeding has been flashing.... or my noob question - is that the autolube running low light? )

please take a quick look at the vids on photobucket - would like some opinions before I go and see them tomorrow....

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... ryoil2.mp4

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... ildrip.mp4
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

voodookid37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk1
Re: watery lookin oil?!!

Post by voodookid37 » 08 Feb 2012, 13:19

oil light on the speedo.....sounds like tank need topping up, and is flickering i assume when riding?
i tend to keep my tank near full at all times,the only time you know if that bulb goes and it might be to late.lol

water in the gearbox ain't good...possibly condensation if your using for short trips,or short start ups and stops?
most likely a seal.....but i would be temptedd to drain the box, refill to the correct level and check after a decent run out....before i started poking around seals...........
mk1... with mk2.2 engine,running mk1 electrics,mk1 carb on standard mk1 jetting + settings.dep front pipe.jap alloy can of unknown make. twinair filter on plastic cage.l/h mk1 rad.r/h mk2 (extra coolant takeoff on 2.2 head)
xr650 wheels .gritty front,mitas rear

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 08 Feb 2012, 13:35

ok!i will drain oil tomorrow,,

I have some 20/w 50 suitable for wet clutch -

altho it says 4 stroke on it?!

( using on my missus's TW )

i just checked the radiator - took cap off - its full altho nothing in the plastic expansion bottle?!!
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 08 Feb 2012, 16:04

if its dumped a header tank full of coolant into the gbox the oil would be well gungy and also when you drain the oil measure it , this will give you a good indication of extra fluid been present
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 08 Feb 2012, 16:27

I can't really see from the videos but I think what you mean is that the oil is flowing like water rather than slowly as car oil flows :?: . If so what you are seeing is entirely normal as gear box oil is quite light and flows very well, particularly when warm.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 08 Feb 2012, 17:20

yeah it doesnt have the gunge that happens when water gets in there - ( i had my oil cooler blow out before,)

but it dont look like the oil in the TW200 ( 20w50 ) or the Hornet 600 I have.

yet seems like it has the faintest white vibe some how -

yeah - flows like water - its not overly warm here - probably 15-20 degrees as its winter - ( not like u lot freezing ya asses off! )

I will probably change the oil tho.

. ( oil choice sounds like a thread in itself?)

just gonna get some bikie 10w -30

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM250 Mk3

Post by njhardy » 10 Feb 2012, 06:18

Its pretty difficult to see fishy- it certainly looks dirty!! As knackered says, I assume you mean very watery consistency of the oil- if the oil is hot it can flow like water, but I can't tell from the video. I'm used to gearbox oil being a bit thicker than that. I would flush it out and put a measured amount of decent 20w50 oil in up to the level- or 15w50 if you are running it in colder conditions. Run it for a couple of days and check the level again. Check for any losses. Water in it (from a coolant leak) would make it go cloudy, gungey. I tend to change my oil every 2-3 months as it just keeps the internals sweeter.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 10 Feb 2012, 07:00

ha! yep swimming in it here... just changed oil...

probably my old / newb nature - taken a long sabatical from riding and mechanics.. ( so cheap to get everything done for you here...) had the hornet around 4 years - but never had time / space to do much on it.... ( about to change the oil on that bext )

feel way more confident on the 2 strokes - did alsorts to my FS 1E back in the ( mid ) 80's - seems have forgotten much that I used to do,,, but not so busy at the moment - trying to get back into it!

oil looked well dirty.. new in - over filled! oops!

pretty easy to do the change really ..

gonna order some pads and do the brakes next!

( working my up to a mugen head change nextt year haha! )

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 13 Feb 2012, 08:34

Good boy getting your hands dirty- F1SE 'Fizzies' (that brings back memories of the 80's!!). How I longed after one of those...
Don't overfill your gearbox- you'll end up popping your seals (erm....like my prat of a mechanic did last week) and they will need replaced. Check the oil off its stand, with the side oil-level screw out on a level surface with warm oil.
The crm is a lovely engine to learn basics on- hell, if I can change the main bearings (in the spare room in my flat) then pretty much any idiot can!! -Wife's not so keen though!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 13 Feb 2012, 15:23

ha - yeah Fizzie was excellent - I was quite keen on piston polishing back then..

actually my first road bike was a Garelli rekord ( ok this is me on the said - please note this was the 80's......... )

it got stolen - and I got the FS1e with the insurance pay out...

it also got stolen.......

yeah wife's aint so keen on oil in the house - I wished I could have a garage or lock up..

anyway she's off on holiday for 2 weeks in march and thats when I shall have some fun

hoping to learn some welding...

yeah overfilling was a pain - took fri&&ing ages to stop peeing out that hole! ( 600 - 650 ml - should have trusted the jug and given it time to filter thru!!!!! :oops: )

will check it again this weekend -

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 14 Feb 2012, 09:00

Wheyy heeyyyy! What a fantastic picture and the shoes are brilliant too- I loved the 80's (or do I mean hated them- can't quite remember!)

Now there's a thought- learning to TIG weld in the flat when the wife's away!!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 15 Feb 2012, 09:25

yeah - she'll never know right? :D

as for the shoes - every one knows its all about aerodynamics when u only got 49cc :P

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 16 Feb 2012, 05:58

Now....what can I weld together???

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 16 Feb 2012, 08:06

njhardy wrote:Now....what can I weld together???
now that sounds like a new thread.. tho if you're any good - I got TW200 that has a seriously rusted rear.....

actually after changing the oil and having a good look at the old - I think it was just really really ready for an oil change....

and now I now there's an oil warning lamp that works for the autolube I am over the moon!

get a lot of good info on this forum,,

is it true there's a tool box? I shot thru the manual - didnt see it... a tool box sounds handy!

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 16 Feb 2012, 18:28

yes its true about the tool box and heres a picture of one thanks to fabioImage
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve