69chris
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk 2
mk2 shock length/ seat height ??

Post by 69chris » 04 Apr 2012, 14:26

hey guys,

could someone with a mk2 please measure their bikes seat height for me pls ??

mine has got a different shock on it and its bonkers high, the p/o was a tall guy and im not lol !!

iv backed off the spring pre-load a bit but its still too tall - im on tiptoes !!!!! had a look on ebay for a standard shock but cant find one so i may be stuck with it as is for a while but just wondered if i had shrunk with age or it really is just the non standard shocker

thanks guys

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: mk2 shock length/ seat height ??

Post by knackeredMk1 » 04 Apr 2012, 14:39

Have you looked at - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5266

I have fitted XR250R shocks to my bikes and they are alot better than the standard Mk2.

69chris
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by 69chris » 08 Apr 2012, 14:11

cheers i hadnt seen that!!

i cleaned some of the crud off mine and it has a sticker on it saying .......BE ? OR made in spain, theres a ? coz the sticker has a bit missing lol !!

im assuming (after a quick google) that BETOR shocks are just a cheap replacement as it has no remote res etc ?

it seems to work ok, i just appears im about 5" too short !!!!!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 08 Apr 2012, 14:56

I don't know of any Betor shocks that were made for the CRM250. I very much doubt that what you have is a correct replacement.

I don't have the shocks off my bikes at the moment but I could give an approximation. How long is your Betor :?:

This is what I've just said to another Mk2 owner with a shock that is too long and pushing up the seat height -

'Best performance option for you is to get Hagon shock, but these are expensive. Next get an XR250R shock and service if neccessary. Third option would be to get an original Mk2 shock and get that serviced. I say get the last two serviced as they will be second hand and probably quite worn. CRM Mk2 shocks are very inferior to the other options.

I got a brand new XR250R shock for my first project and got a little used one for my current project; so I haven't needed to get them serviced.

If you have time to find parts looking on eBay, particularly UK and USA, you will find what you are looking for. If you can get a 1995 XR250R shock (purple spring) that would be the one I would go for. There is a 1990 XR250R shock in OK condition on US eBay at the moment, though I would get it serviced though - but then you are looking at close to Hagon money .

You certainly need to change your current shock if you want better performance/rideability.'

69chris
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by 69chris » 08 Apr 2012, 23:48

thanks for all the advice,

just one last thing, is there any reason why an xr400 shock wouldnt fit as they seem interchangable with the 250 or is it just a case of miss matched damping/ springing etc ????

thanks again

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 09 Apr 2012, 03:46

To do a straight swap you are talking about the 1990-1995 XR250R shock not the later one. I can say this version fits without question, I can't say that for the XR400.