fans ?

69chris
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk 2
fans ?

Post by 69chris » 27 Apr 2012, 10:20

right, after reading various threads on here about the use of cpu fans for the rad i thought, as the bike will be used for all sorts, inc a fair bit of slow town riding, fitting a fan wouldnt be a bad idea :)

looking into wheres best (read easiest !!) to wire it into i thought up the following....

as the indicators will be coming off can i use the indicator switch to power the fan ??
i was thinking maybe 'left' would turn the fan onto slow speed and 'right' would switch it onto high speed if needed,

obvs id have to bridge the relay, so apart from fitting an in-line fuse (??) can anyone see any major flaws in my plan ????

cheers guys :)

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: fans ?

Post by twistednuts » 27 Apr 2012, 11:02

Only my opinion, but i reckon its not really worth it. Cpu fans with thier low power would probably be the equiv of riding 15mph, if that. Alls the fan would do is partially block the radiator airways.

One of them fish tank type temp gauges on the top of radiator are handy.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 Apr 2012, 19:10

twistednuts wrote:Only my opinion, but i reckon its not really worth it. Cpu fans with thier low power would probably be the equiv of riding 15mph, if that. Alls the fan would do is partially block the radiator airways.

One of them fish tank type temp gauges on the top of radiator are handy.
My experience is that my AR would routinely boil over on hot days or if used in slow going conditions, till, I fitted a fan, and it never gave another days grief.
I fitted on as a matter of course to the MK3, and again no problems thus far.
For the amount of power they pull, [5watts] or so, I just run with it constantly on.
If your doing an event, [L.D.T. or similar], quite often in long sections, you will not get to 15 mph for a quite a while, so some additional cooling is the difference between finishing a section, or having to wait for the motor to cool off.
This is all IMO.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 27 Apr 2012, 19:18

I have one on my first Mk1. Description in 'Motards / Specials / Rebuilds'..........

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 27 Apr 2012, 21:14

just to balance things I've never had an overheating issue on my AR (and it is slightly :? hotter here than the UK!). Also if you do install a fan put it on the rear of the rad so it pulls air through and doesn't block the rad. I can maybe see one helping in slow speed boggy stuff but if it overheating at higher speeds then you have another issue with your cooling system.

Regards
SkidMark
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 27 Apr 2012, 21:33

Ahh yes. Off road. Never thought of that.

If its just road stuff then theyre pointless and just mask problems as skidmark mentioned.

But in boggy stuff i guess they'll get a tad warm.

It will work better if you take it out of the computer first :lol:

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 27 Apr 2012, 21:57

twistednuts wrote:
It will work better if you take it out of the computer first :lol:
:D :D :D

bit of drag otherwise - especially if its an 10yr old desktop :D :D :D
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

69chris
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by 69chris » 27 Apr 2012, 21:59

good stuff cheers guys :)

it doesnt overheat..... at least it hasnt yet anyway, i was just going to fit one 'just incase' as it will be doing alot of slow (very slow prob :lol: ) greenlane stuff, nowt too tricky as i dont bounce as well as i used to :shock:

good news is the ole crm is going to stay mine as the g/f friend has now got an mtx200 coming, it was going to be for me but she likes it more as its alot lower, easier to kick etc so happy days :)

so, ill be after a dep (or similar) exhaust soon (so if anyones got owt kicking about ?????) and a bit of a weight loss for it is on the cards

:)

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 27 Apr 2012, 22:26

MTX200 - Now there's a bike that needs a fan off road :o . I had a 125 that used to boil all the time (had it from new) and the 200 is supposed to be worse :!: . Only one radiator you see....

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 Apr 2012, 22:43

knackeredMk1 wrote:MTX200 - Now there's a bike that needs a fan off road :o . I had a 125 that used to boil all the time (had it from new) and the 200 is supposed to be worse :!: . Only one radiator you see....
+1, notorious, still handy if you like a brew ;) .
mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

69chris
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by 69chris » 27 Apr 2012, 23:08

hahaha i know, i had 1 back in the 80's which spent more time steaming than riding :D

i was wondering about fitting 2 rads to it - crm/cr poss ?? gotta be do able with some gaffa tape and cable ties surely :)

i think i'll be ordering 2 fans anyhow, one for each........ just to be safe :)

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 28 Apr 2012, 00:11

twisted if you take the fan out of the computer will it overheat and prevent you getting on here :?:

pieeyed is racing a crm in hare and hounds with no problems with a std cooling system so is a fan really needed ?
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve