Big Mistake

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Big Mistake

Post by rich1960 » 04 Jul 2012, 21:29

I was out trail riding a week or so ago with one of my regular riding buddies, he was on his brand new 12 plate KTM300EXC, he asked me if I wanted a ride so I took up his offer.

I had a good ride for about an hour, over all sorts of terrain and on the road, apart from the 'hunting' on the road, it was an absolute dream to ride, and I soon got used to it on the road too. The suspension was amazing, it gluided over everything, and there was so much grunt from the motor.

So, I'm now seriously thinking of the 'unthinkable', selling the beloved MK2 CRM and paying LT a visit. :OMG :o

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Big Mistake

Post by fallenmikethebike » 04 Jul 2012, 22:07

Check out the likely insurance cost first though.
The hunting on the road does eventually drive you mad,I had the same on a KDX 200.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 04 Jul 2012, 23:50

Why do people slate ktms? Theyre great off road and on road bikes.

Dont feel bad about it rich, if its better for your needs then go for it. Can you not keep the crm as back up for when the ktm breaks down? (See what i did there?) :lol:

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by rich1960 » 05 Jul 2012, 12:09

fallenmikethebike wrote:Check out the likely insurance cost first though.
The hunting on the road does eventually drive you mad,I had the same on a KDX 200.
Mike
You're right Mike, the same mate had a WR250 knicked out of his garage a few years ago, so decided to go the 'less desirable' route with a KLX250, next two years no trouble. He's had the KTM 3 weeks and last saturday night someone had a go at his garage door, but thankfully the alarm kicked in and they scarpered. His bike along with road bike and bycycles are now at is in-laws pending a new steel roller shutter garage door.

Rich

69chris
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk 2

Post by 69chris » 05 Jul 2012, 16:05

Mike
my mk2 hunts a fair bit at low'ish revs/speed, iv tried all sorts of carb adjustments etc to try to stop it but to no avail - is it just mine or do they all do it ????

ps, sorry for hijacking ya thread rich :oops:

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Jul 2012, 16:42

Rich - Now you should be able to ride like Knighter as he's swapped to a 300 from the big 4 stroke.

We are expecting great things 8-) .

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 05 Jul 2012, 17:01

69chris wrote:
Mike
my mk2 hunts a fair bit at low'ish revs/speed, iv tried all sorts of carb adjustments etc to try to stop it but to no avail - is it just mine or do they all do it ????

ps, sorry for hijacking ya thread rich :oops:
Sorry to report this, but our MK2 is sweet as on the road.I did notice it on the AR, but nowhere near as bad as the KDX.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 05 Jul 2012, 17:16

Hmmm KTM's !!
Used to love them but then i bought my Duke II (yes i know its not a trailie ) & have had loads of probs with it , bought it with 500 miles on the clock & a couple of thousand mile on the clock & it was jumping out of second ! I hope the newer KTM's are better as mine was an older 04 plate LC4 & was a bit of a bitsa . . . . had a 2001 frame & 2003 engine .

couple of guys on the trail had KTM 200's back in the late 90's & they seemed great .

garyd
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk3

Post by garyd » 06 Jul 2012, 15:37

They are the armchair of trail bikes ,make even an average rider look good ,the suspension is the key ,you can have all the power you want but on the trail almost all is unuseable............specially if im leading the ride out,CRMs are nice ...............back in the day,........ they are way outdated now,together with the shrinking parts situation ,id go Orange if i could afford to

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 06 Jul 2012, 15:57

CRM engine in a GasGas chassis would be the perfect trail bike. The engine would have more than enough power, but it is the delivery that is really good. Standard CRM suspension is awful by todays standards and GasGas (esp the Ohlins versions) are the most smooth and trail orientated.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 06 Jul 2012, 18:24

[quote="garyd"]you can have all the power you want but on the trail almost all is unuseable[/quote]
Ahmen to that !

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 07 Jul 2012, 08:18

garyd wrote:They are the armchair of trail bikes ,make even an average rider look good ,the suspension is the key ,you can have all the power you want but on the trail almost all is unuseable............specially if im leading the ride out,CRMs are nice ...............back in the day,........ they are way outdated now,together with the shrinking parts situation ,id go Orange if i could afford to
there out there at the right money gary my 02 200 autolube model was the right price and local
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

garyd
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk3

Post by garyd » 07 Jul 2012, 08:28

Thanks trev,should have made it more clear,i would have one if i didnt have my crf,which does it all for me,but has poor sussies

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by Eddie Evans » 07 Jul 2012, 11:27

Get the 300 Rich but hang on to the CRM.
Got an 08 berg and there is no doubt that it is better than the CRM in so many ways but it is still nice to jump on the CRM from time to time and rediscover why it is "the best trail bike ever".

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by rich1960 » 07 Jul 2012, 20:53

Eddie Evans wrote:Get the 300 Rich but hang on to the CRM.
Got an 08 berg and there is no doubt that it is better than the CRM in so many ways but it is still nice to jump on the CRM from time to time and rediscover why it is "the best trail bike ever".
Thats what I'm thinking Eddie. I've sold so many bikes (RD350LC YPVS, RD500, Z650, Garelli Tiger Cross to name a few) and regretted it, so hopefully won't make the same mistake again.