Just bought crm 250 project! Need some advice please guys

adic3001
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Just bought crm 250 project! Need some advice please guys

Post by adic3001 » 23 Jul 2012, 19:30

Hi all

I just bought a crm 250 mk2 which has been stripped & frame been powder coated &. Everything cleaned up etc. it's Basicly back together now apart from a few bits & bobs & some of the wiring is a right mess! Iv got her started after a bit of a mess about with the wiring so now I'm ready to get her sorted for the road/trails :-)

The advice I'm after is: are there any things I should change to make the bike better while I'm rebuilding it? I know the shocks are meant to be pants so are there any that fit on without much messing about? Iv had a look on the forum & it seems that some people use xr400 rear shock. Does this fit straight in?

I'm considering having another set of wheels with road tyres as I will be using the bike as a run around Inbetween weekend trail riding but will road tyres fit straight onto original crm wheels or do they need to be special made up wheels like some people on here have?

Sorry about the newbie questions but I am exactly that! Lol

Cheers guys & girls

Adi

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Just bought crm 250 project! Need some advice please guys

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Jul 2012, 20:51

Hi Adi, the best thing is get a good service on your existing shock, as that will fit straight back in.
Some of the guys go for supermoto wheels, but some ordinary tyres can be fitted for weekday use, or just some Trail type tyres.
As a compromise, Pirreli MT43 are quite good off road, and bearable on road.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

adic3001
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by adic3001 » 23 Jul 2012, 21:32

Thanks mike that's helped me a lot. I think I will try & find some road tyres to fit the stock rims as I have a new set of knobbliest on at the moment.

Cheers

Adi

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 24 Jul 2012, 09:42

Nobody I know uses an XR400 shock - I think you mean XR250, though I have never tried a 400.

Look through the FAQs for the CRM and the 'projects ...' sections to find the information you want.

Jeram
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jeram » 25 Jul 2012, 02:38

get the shock bebuilt with additional dampening and a slightly stiffer spring (KTM springs from the WP dirt bike shocks fit nicely)

get the forks serviced and rebuild or consider the CR fork mod.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 27 Jul 2012, 10:26

Jeram - You are talking about Mk3/AR. Don't know of any shock springs that fit Mk1/2. They are out there but just don't know where .................