tyres ?? which one

OZCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
tyres ?? which one

Post by OZCRM » 30 Nov 2012, 11:24

Last edited by OZCRM on 06 Nov 2015, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: tyres ?? which one

Post by Eddie Evans » 30 Nov 2012, 13:09

OZCRM wrote:Hi after having a few slippy moments up front think its time for a new tyre for the front just wondering what you guys recommend? Iv currently got mitas tyres on co2 rear had mitas ef05 and ef06 before and find them a good grippy tyre thinking of getting a c19 to go on the front as they are meant to last a while even on road but seen maxxis and price any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

Just fiitted new ufo ghibli headlight unit and crf mudguard has improved the lighting up front loads. 8-)

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=3

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=2
Short answer is the C19 is a good tyre. If you find you are struggling for grip drop the pressure.

Longer answer.
Soon after starting to trail ride I was sent a C19 by mistake as I had ordered a EF06 but fitted it without realising.
First ride out I was struggling for grip on wet stone. So much so that when I got home I took the tyre off and fitted an EF06 which had by then been delivered to me for another bike.
I was then very happy with the grip from the EF06. always accepting that they are never quite as good as a 6 day extreme but close enough for the none competitive (other than laughs) riding that I do.
The C19 was fitted to my XR650R as I was only intending to use this for light trail riding. Well that did not go to plan and the XR was used for similar trails but with perhaps a bit less gusto.
I found decent grip with low tyre pressure.
Fast forward a few of years and discussing the merits of the C02 with a group of experienced trail riders the subject changed to front tyres. One of the riders claiming that the C19 was the holy grail of front trail tyres. That is decent grip and long life. Now most of his riding was on the wet slippy slate rocks of Devon and Cornwall.
Now I explained that I had not been happy with the C19 and used EF06s. He said that he was happy with the grip of the 06s but the C19 had the same grip but lasted longer.
This was backed up by a couple of other riders that I valued opinions from.
The next front I fitted was the C19 and I have to say that I have been very happy with the level of grip so cant really say why I originally had the problem.
I now run a fairly low pressure of 10psi n the front but can't remember what I used to run. At a big risk of jinxing it I don.t get pinch punctures perhaps because I keep the front light over rocks I don't know. I will stop and pump the tyre up a little if I feel it hitting the rim hard but this is quite rare despite riding at a good pace.
So that is the longer answer, get one and fit it. Tyres always lead to more opinions that almost anything else.

OZCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by OZCRM » 30 Nov 2012, 19:23

Last edited by OZCRM on 06 Nov 2015, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 03 Dec 2012, 20:22

OZ,

There was a thread about tyres some two years ago you may want to search for. It all depends on what you want from a tyre and how you ride.

AS most on this site know I ride my CRM's to the limit (and beyond). Rear tyres I can cope with a bit of sliding about, but fronts I go for grip all the time. I have tried several over the years as follows

Michellin comp 4 - cracking tyre for grip, expensive and does not last long
Michelin AC10 - for me the worst tyre ever made, crap grip on anything but mud, bought one, used it twice, and could not give it away!
Mitas EF05(6?) etc. Good longevity, sort of OK grip not great if you really push the front end
Bridgestone gritty (ED663 or 661), great grip, pricy compared to Mitas. My prefered front tyre
Metzeler MCE 6 Days Extreme - really good grip, gives loads of confidence - I'm really warming to this tyre. A bit on the expensive side, lasts longer than a Mich comp 4 but nothing like a mitas - simialr wear to a Bridgestone grity
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface