I need new rims

xstian
Reactions:
I need new rims

Post by xstian » 28 Dec 2012, 16:15

The rims on my mk3 are shot. I've had a look at second hand wheels and most don't look much better or they want to much money but aren't prepeared to take the old tyres off to have a look for rot.

So I want to buy new rims and s/s spokes. I've sent a email to talon to get a price for Excel rims, but not heard back yet. I can't see it being cheap.So I was just wondering what every one else is doing. Are there any alternatives to Excel?

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: I need new rims

Post by fallenmikethebike » 28 Dec 2012, 17:31

Have explored the XR range :?: more choice and more available.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

xstian
Reactions:

Post by xstian » 28 Dec 2012, 18:03

[quote="fallenmikethebike"]Have explored the XR range :?: more choice and more available.
Mike[/quote]

Do you mean new or second hand? I've looked for used XR and CRM rims for about 6 months and all I've seen look to be scrap. I don't want to pay £100-£150 for wheels with tyres only to find they are no better than what I have.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 28 Dec 2012, 20:55

Talon get back to you, maybe, maybe never, from my experience they were useless :x .

I ordered 4 Talon Hubs through Central Wheels (2 front and 2 rear) this year and they NEVER arrived, after 3 months chasing I just gave up trying to get them and cancelled the order, delivery dates came and went, new delivery dates came and went and nothing materialised. (Central wheels were hard work as well, trying to chase order, lost order, not calling back etc)

In the end I went out to workshop, cut the good rims off the hubs, threw rims in bin (purple) and had my hubs powder coated, new black rims and stainless spokes supplied and fitted by Racespec (brilliant service by Racespec).

2Smoke
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by 2Smoke » 28 Dec 2012, 23:46

Shame you binned the rims, they'd have looked great on my Mk3 in it's shellsuit colours!

xstian
Reactions:

Post by xstian » 29 Dec 2012, 17:45

I looked on the race spec website but they don't list rims for a CRM. I'll give them a call when every one gets back to work and see what they say.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 29 Dec 2012, 17:57

Racespec supplied and fitted Excel rims and stainless spokes (delay of 4 days due to having to get spokes matched).

Hub powder coating cost £10 per hub at Redditch shotblasting.

keith
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by keith » 29 Dec 2012, 18:12

Do you mind me asking what it cost for new excel rims and new spokes.

Keith

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 29 Dec 2012, 18:48

A figure of £1200 with new tyres and tubes come to mind for 4 wheels.

Initial idea was to get a spare set of Talon hubs and rims, and keep original wheels as spares, but the purple rims looked awful so off they came.

xstian
Reactions:

Post by xstian » 30 Dec 2012, 10:32

Has anyone taken rims from another, newer bike and respoked them onto CRM hub?

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by xander77 » 26 Jan 2013, 21:27

I got new spokes stainless ones, from central wheels, nice but expensive bout £110 for both wheels, used the old rims, I have heard of the rims rotting! not surprised when you think what they go through, but its worth taking the tyres of now and again even if there not worn out, just to check the corrosion and treat as needed, I mean I do this with the swinging arm bearings and headrace etc., to re-grease and that so the rims are just another yearly check, does help when your mates a wheel builder!

xstian
Reactions:

Post by xstian » 07 Feb 2013, 17:58

Just thought I would update this. I placed an order with racespec for rims and spokes.

-I sent email at the beginning of January. No reply
-I send another email a week later. They reply and said they never got the first email. I enquired about rims and they said they didn't do rims for a CRM. I said other members of the forum have brought rims from them. They then change there mind and say they can get them and the will order a pair of rims and spokes.
-2 Weeks go by and I send another email inquiring when the rims will be in. They then ask me was it silver rims I wanted and also how many holes the rear rim has. I reply to this and they say they will get these ordered straight away.
-This brings me upto this week. I email again to ask when the rims will be in and I'm informed it will be the end of next week.

Now I really hope they come next week. I want to get back out on the bike(I haven't been able to use it since christmas). I know others have used racespec before, and maybe they are just very busy, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the service so far.

So fingers crossed for next week and I'll let you know how I get on.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 07 Feb 2013, 19:54

^^^^^, Recession :!: :?: Not for everyone it seems, I thought new customers and their positive feedback was like gold dust :?:
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 Feb 2013, 20:20

I used to think that Racespec were very good but over the last few months they have gone down in my estimation. Cocked up one simple (one item) and one not so simple order out of three orders in total. They also had to be 'reminded' about a refund.

I've been dealing with them since Dave Watson had a workshop in his backyard (over 20 years). I think it depends on the member of staff you get. Some are very efficient, helpful and knowledgeable. Some are not so efficient .........

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 07 Feb 2013, 22:12

Just make sure they get the right shape spokes.......................sounds like its all going to go pear shaped.

Mine was a quick and easy transaction.