Balancer shaft Needle bearing

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Balancer shaft Needle bearing

Post by xander77 » 17 Jan 2013, 20:44

Yeh checked the FAQ, saw the removal drift, got my mate to make it, but I did not read the whole FAQ and did not make a note of the blue washer way round? what difference will this make? I didn`t realise I have to take the gear selector out some, how careful do I need to be removing this to get to the tab bolt! did not realise I had to remove the clutch side bearing? what's the best way to get this out? bang it from the needle roller bearing side? looks like the needle roller is a bigger diameter so I should be able to drift it out from that side? if I have to take that out I might as well replace it.

LT just said get a decent drift and basically bash it out, and if you smash it doesn't matter as you are replacing it!! I did try but a couple of needles fell out and I got paranoid one would fall in the gearbox, after looking I don`t think they can? is that right.

I have heard of the bearing going again quite quickly after replacement anyone heard of this? got the parts today so I am going to try the full shaft, needle and ball bearing replacement.

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Re: Balancer shaft Needle bearing

Post by xander77 » 20 Jan 2013, 15:30

Hi all, all questions answered after an afternoon in the garage it was cold and fiddly but all back together engine wise, the selector shaft end parts were a pain but after multiple tries figured out how to get it all back together, just after I realised I had forgot the blue washer from the ball bearing balancer shaft! so stripped it again put the washer in and the rest back together, just need some antifreeze and the exhaust back on hopefully to find the whine noise has gone!! I will post when I have it running.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 20 Jan 2013, 17:21

xander77 wrote:Hi all, all questions answered after an afternoon in the garage it was cold and fiddly but all back together engine wise, the selector shaft end parts were a pain but after multiple tries figured out how to get it all back together, just after I realised I had forgot the blue washer from the ball bearing balancer shaft! so stripped it again put the washer in and the rest back together, just need some antifreeze and the exhaust back on hopefully to find the whine noise has gone!! I will post when I have it running.
:BB Too bleeding cold in my garage to even venture past the door, besides, I'm sure I saw a polar bear hibernating out there.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by xander77 » 20 Jan 2013, 17:49

Too bloody cold in mine to, but I wanted to get the bike done, once I have the exhaust and fluids in I will give it a run and post the results

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by xander77 » 27 Jan 2013, 20:23

What a difference! starting to think it was on its way out when I bought it, that or I more than likely got used to the ever increasing noise, engine is sweet now nice and quiet and seems to pull a lot better, not had a proper run yet but I will try and take it for a run this week! would the balancer shaft affect the performance?

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 28 Jan 2013, 13:54

xander77 wrote:What a difference! starting to think it was on its way out when I bought it, that or I more than likely got used to the ever increasing noise, engine is sweet now nice and quiet and seems to pull a lot better, not had a proper run yet but I will try and take it for a run this week! would the balancer shaft affect the performance?
Very unlikely. Good job to have got done though.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by xander77 » 28 Jan 2013, 21:28

Hi Mike,
Yep I figured the shaft being worn wouldn`t really affect performance, the only way it would, if it was timed one tooth out either way, but I guess you would feel that in vibes and the case had never been off from what I can see, so I guess I am just happy with the smoothness and quieter engine!
I can see the shaft helping low end power as the piston should be less prone to stalling at low revs, bit like a heaver flywheel, just gives a help pulling the piston up and down, would affect throttle response though, like a heavy flywheel helps big V-twins and singles smooth out their power,

So far I have had,

New spokes stainless (mate rebuilt and trued the rims)
new standard Mk3 exhaust
new headrace bearings
new swinging arm bearings
new rear shock linkage bearings
rebuilt rear shock and top bearing
rebuilt front forks bushes and seals
Wheel bearings more than once
New balancer shaft and bearings! (glad I didn`t strip the engine as the piston sounds fine)
New seat
new rear light
new heavy duty inner tubes, and green puncture slime, though I don`t run really low pressures might experiment with this on next ride outs.
I would not like to add up all the parts! might shock me!

but bikes still rough cosmetically! not too bothered about that!
could really do with a plastic tank no one sells them?
but overall, when out with KTM`s and Suzuki`s bike does remarkably well, always there or just about on some sections, that might be my ability more than the CRM, perfect for green lanes, but an elecy start would be so nice now and again.

Really its the fact its a 18 year old bike that still cuts it for the lanes!! and very low maintenance! compared to a modern enduro! Yes OK it won`t win any endure race`s but for the lanes its good.