clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
VIN number advice needed

Post by clint » 07 Feb 2013, 22:29

Hello all,

I haven't received the log book for my bike yet. I called the DVLA today who advised me to send off the new keeper supplement with a v62 as they had not received the old log book. I got a v62 today and just went to fill it out but noticed it has a section asking for the vin/frame/chassis number. It says they will return the form if this bit isn't filled out.

The problem is the bike has been powder coated and I can only just make out where the numbers were, there is no way I can tell what they are!

What would be the best way to get these? Are they anywhere else on the bike? It's the usual place where I have been looking on the right hand side of the headstock. Am I going to have to remove the powder coat on the headstock and if so what would be the best way to do this?

Cheers

Clint

clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Re: VIN number advice needed

Post by clint » 07 Feb 2013, 22:34

just realised they will be on the MOT cert, checked and they are. The MOT tester obviously has xray vision :)

They seem a bit short though. MD24 - a_7_digit_number

I guess they didn't make a great deal of these bikes though. Just hope it doesn't get returned with a letter saying "Sorry that is the wrong VIN"

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 08 Feb 2013, 12:19

You hope.

I purchased an AR last year with all paperwork, owner said he would post logbook off. 6 weeks later nothing arrived so I called dvIa and was told to fill the form in for replacement lost logbook, I had written down serial numbers.

But they refused to issue a logbook to start with and sent me a letter to take bike to MOT station to get the colour of the bike verified. It is white..................I had to clarify if the bike was "multi coloured" by letter to DVLA before log book was issued.

Looked at all my other logbooks and 2 only had "MD**" on the engine serial numbers, so had to get that changed as well with correct numbers.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 08 Feb 2013, 13:17

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 08 Feb 2013, 16:58

I had to rub back the powder coating on the headstock of mine this year to reveal the number.
Years gone by of course under the former system I would have had the old certificate in my hand.
I stuck some of that clear leading edge tape over the number for future ease.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by clint » 09 Feb 2013, 02:38

I hope I don't have to go through all that just to get my logbook!

From looking at that link my bike is a mk1 but I was told it was a mk2

I'm pretty sure it is a 92 bike, maybe one of you could shed some light on it and perhaps let me know what is/isn't standard on my bike / viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8533

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by Eddie Evans » 09 Feb 2013, 06:51

Why not go back to the person you bought it off and get them to send the original document off.

The seller must send the document off or they are liable for a hefty fine.

I assume that you know where they live and have their tel no.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 09 Feb 2013, 09:01

Clint - Photo of your bike?

What are the numbers of the frame and engine?

clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by clint » 09 Feb 2013, 16:10

I didn't save his number but I know where he lives. If I get any bad news from DVLA I will go round. He had all the paperwork so I'm assuming he hasn't sent it off

I tried to post a link on my last post, it is the first picture that fishtail kindly posted after my failure

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8533

The frame number starts md24 100 (according to MOT) I will check what the engine numbers are when I'm back with the bike

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 09 Feb 2013, 16:41

Looks like a Mk2.

Only the shock mount needs to be altered on a Mk1 frame to fit a Mk2 shock. Everything else that is Mk2 can be bolted on.

As a general point when buying any vehicle you MUST check that the frame, engine and registration numbers match - MOT, V5c and on the vehicle. Keep a record of these on the receipt you get from the seller.

SACRM
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 3xmk2 2xAR

Post by SACRM » 05 Nov 2014, 19:33

Hi guys,

Had the same problem with my Mk2 a few years back. Couldn't get it roadworthied as we couldn't ID the VIN Number. I left it like that for a few years and only used the bike off road as it would have broke my heart to sand back my new powder coating.

Needless to say, the bike is stripped again for new make over, and I'm doing things differently this time. I've taken a sample plate from a late 80's CR and gone to a local sinnage company and had the plate copied in Aluminium with the CRM's details, VIN, Engine, model, make, and trim spec. I then drilled 3mm blind holes into the head stock and used blind punch rivets to attach the "Manufacturer's" plate to the head stock.

Problem solved, and it looks pretty neat!

I'll try post a few pics if anyone is interested?

Cheers,
Jules

clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by clint » 05 Nov 2014, 20:35

Strange you should dig this post up as I have been looking to buy another CRM today!!!

My log book came through in the end. I sold that bike last year and regretting it. even though the main bearing went on the new owner. after I had replaced every bearing when it went on me!