whats that noise?

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
Re: whats that noise?

Post by fishtail » 17 Mar 2013, 17:27

yeah but all the engines are like u said before - condition unknown, if this is as advertised then a great opportunity.. ( altho a little tooo great eh? piston alone is worth 100 quid if it is new )

I'm pretty certain I am gonna strip the beast I have - and the wifes away next week for a fortnight - so can do what I like in the front room :)

but really feeling the urge to ride... an the gasket kit isnt here.. ( chancing I can source the bearings on the street )

altho what else will I end up waiting for? and for how long?

makes me wanna ask how much does an engine weigh?
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 17 Mar 2013, 19:39

fishtail wrote:yeah but all the engines are like u said before - condition unknown, if this is as advertised then a great opportunity.. ( altho a little tooo great eh? piston alone is worth 100 quid if it is new )

I'm pretty certain I am gonna strip the beast I have - and the wifes away next week for a fortnight - so can do what I like in the front room :)

but really feeling the urge to ride... an the gasket kit isnt here.. ( chancing I can source the bearings on the street )

altho what else will I end up waiting for? and for how long?

makes me wanna ask how much does an engine weigh?
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 17 Mar 2013, 19:40

It's easier to remove the barrel without the head on, +

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 17 Mar 2013, 19:45

Additionally, is it worth buying an engine locally, and rebuilding that one? It can't have more issue's than the current one possibly can it?
Mike.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 22 Mar 2013, 06:04

well there is a mk2 available locally - apparently can just swop the flywheels...

I might go there if there's massive delays on my rebuild..

athena gasket kit arrived today...

had a bit of time so I took the exhaust off to take a peek..

seems like the rings are still on the piston.. ( at least the side I can see..... )

the barrel - rebored all of 3 or 4 months ago... looks a bit scored.. or is this normal? the scratches do appear to be more on the side where the biggest racket is..

wondering if I can risk one more ride on it? missus is away from sat
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 22 Mar 2013, 06:10

compression sounds good tho,, bike starts real easy...

still sounds like a taxi... :(

Carbguy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR / Mk1

Post by Carbguy » 22 Mar 2013, 15:57

That looks like it had done its job... Rebuild

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 22 Mar 2013, 16:06

Most likely overheating and partially seizing. Could be grit in fuel though unlikely.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 22 Mar 2013, 16:32

yeah I thought as much... maybe the piston is useable?

and I swear its runnin super hot now -

I am sort of thinking I need to get a 'spare' bike,,

please see thread --- > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8783

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 22 Mar 2013, 16:34

knackeredMk1 wrote:Most likely overheating and partially seizing. Could be grit in fuel though unlikely.

yeah cos I put a filter on -- guess we know more when I crack it..

the Husky is tempting.. means I can do the CRM 'proper' ie totally strip an rebuild the bugger.. like one of mark's ( helisup ) I look at them an go phhhhoooooooarr! :D

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 22 Mar 2013, 16:55

Matt, I've been thinking about what you want for a while and you like to ride.

I think that once you get a Husky 310, especially if it is in good condition (unlike your Mk3 ;)), then you won't be interested in repairing the Mk3. I can almost guarantee it.

Having seen your latest videos I think that getting a better suspended, more modern bike is what you need. Leave the CRMs to us oldies who don't want to thrash around everywhere.

You will always have a soft spot for the CRM and may even keep it if you can afford to but you'll get more enjoyment out of something more modern as long as you keep to the service schedules.

Though a KTM 300 might suit you better as less servicing required. Like the CRM but on steroids, lighter and better suspended. Only issue is premix - but just carry a graduated plastic bottle in your bag and add as you fill up.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 22 Mar 2013, 17:22

yeah problem is budget - that TE is goin at a great price here - but i guess its about 4500 quid ish... (trying to find out if its road legal - need to ride to where the dirt starts... that 4500 quid to me already gets me a bit nervous - as my riding is err enthusiastic to use an euphemism for falling off and dropping it alot! :D

never seen a KTM 300 here.. can get an EXC350 but its around 9000 pounds... which seems *alot * for me to chuck into bamboo/ trees etc

theres not a massive market for dirt bikes here - as only 6 mill people and 2 or 3 places you can 'getaway' with riding.. altho my secret track has a lot of potential!

so I think its quite likely I will be doing the incremental improvement to the CRM since 9000 quid to green lane on is insane for me.. the TE is swingable ish if my luck holds out....,

so I'm probably gonna have to fix the CRM no matter what since I got a lot of the parts already.. and its worth zilch as it is...

if I can get it ride worthy again - then I got a *known* bike - positve side - the brakes are fixed - the electrix are OK - just might have air leak in the cases...

if I get outbid on the TE - theres a mk2 engine about I can throw in whilst I recon this,,

actually I do like tinkering as well :) it'd be really great to be able to do both rather than be trying to rush to ride

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 28 Mar 2013, 04:25

its been heavy rain on an off for days here... and forecast for the next week! :(

thinking I better try an get the bike inside to do this engine strip - after all the missus is away - and will be handier to make all the cups of tea mentioned in the blog/guide.. :D

*but* gonna be super hard to carry a CRM mk3 up 1 flight of stairs and turn into the door..

thinking strip forks and swingarm outside.. ( as well as tank etc )

*but then* in the guide I'm reading makes a lot of use of jamming the rear wheel to stop the parts turning so I can loosen em...

can anyone tell what I need?

I got this when I was playing with my electrics.. will that do or I need something else?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Mar 2013, 07:51

Broom handle, hammer shaft ............. Be sure to put it in 6th gear so you don't put much force on the spokes.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 28 Mar 2013, 08:47

yeah thats sort of me point - if I take wheels forks and swinger off to get it inside the house - then there's no spokes to put wood thru..

or do u mean put the rear wheel back on when its inside?

maybe I just weld a big bar on the sprocket? i mean the sprocket is fubar anyways