That would do.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)
Re: whats that noise?

Post by helisupp » 28 Mar 2013, 10:28

I would not weld anything to the shaft, the possibility of the amperage passing through another part of the engine and arcing could damage them.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Mar 2013, 10:41

As long as he earths the welder on the sprocket - surely that would be OK :?: .

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 28 Mar 2013, 11:52

actually I thought I might bolt some thing on there?

get a metal bar ( big L shape or similar - - few holes each side? bolt heads behind sprocket - bolt shaft thru teeth.. into metal bar.?

how much force is required?

cos this will be much easier to do inside than sat outside in the rain... taking engine out whole then dealing with it indoors..

no need to lump bike frame and engine up the stairs in one...
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Mar 2013, 11:57

Not much force if you put into 6th gear. I'm not sure why you need to hold the out put shaft :? - The only nut that you can't undo by chocking the gears is the clutch centre nut and you can't hold that without making a clutch holding tool or using an impact wrench.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 28 Mar 2013, 12:05

it must be said I have absolutely no idea what I'm letting myself in for - most I ever did was a top end rebuild... which was about 4 or 5 months ago....

hope the patient lives! itd be nice if it made it beyond its teenage years! ( 17 years old such a tricky age! )

main point is to disconnect everything as fast as possible between rain showers - then move engine inside. - so no wheels or anything

impact wrench? hmm looks like I will be after the clutch holding tool :D

( in the guide he wedges a socket in between clutch and frame. altho he says this might break the case?!

wont my flywheel holder work? :roll:
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Mar 2013, 12:21

With the flywheel holder and a small piece of 2mm aluminium strip you will still need to make a clutch holding tool (As I did for my Mk1. See write up).

It is soooo much easier with a impact/wrench. I used to take my engines to college or a friend who is a car mechanic. 2-5 seconds to take off each nut rather than a whole heap of effort with long bars and wedges and trying to hold the engine in one place. I now have an electric impact wrench so I can do it at home.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 28 Mar 2013, 12:28

would something like this do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLARKE-CEW100 ... 2326ecbc43

the mechanic I knew wanted 500 quid to do the whole job - which I thought sod that!

so if a 50 quid tool makes it easier I am in!

*edit

especially since I will no doubt frig summat up an have to do it again in 6 months..,, :D

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 28 Mar 2013, 12:31

was thinking about getting a work mate ( black an decker like thing )

since holding it on my knees might not be optimal...

or is there a better thing I should have? :)

( I totally dont have a proper work bench and the dining table might result in unwanted hassle later..... )

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Mar 2013, 12:42

Get an old piece of carpet and do it on that or even a double thickness. Lay an old towel over the carpet to be sure (double layer again is better). You need to create a space at least ~2ftx2ft to place the engine on.

I've got a padded floor section in the garage and I lay a big old folded towel over it to catch any excess fluids when stripping the engine. When rebuilding I still do it on the floor (the benches are covered in carbon fibre stuff :roll: ) but on a clean towel.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 28 Mar 2013, 14:35

I bought a 12v impact wrench with impact sockets for under £30 at machine Mart, and works superbly, not too strong to damage anything.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Mar 2013, 14:42

I got the mains one as I had reports about the rechargeable one you have being not strong enough. The mains one is quite severe though I must say :!: .

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 28 Mar 2013, 16:27

It runs off a 12v battery, and did the wheels many times on my Track day Lotus Elise for 2 years.......until it got run over

Have another one now and works great on the small nuts and bolts, its not good enough for general garage use.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 28 Mar 2013, 17:41

helisupp wrote:It runs off a 12v battery, and did the wheels many times on my Track day Lotus Elise for 2 years.......until it got run over

Have another one now and works great on the small nuts and bolts, its not good enough for general garage use.
I saw one of those in a spares shop, and thought " I'll get one of those one day soon" well of course when I went back they had all gone, and they have never got them in again since. This one had a lead for clipping it onto the battery.
If fishy lugged a 12v battery upstairs that would do the job, and it might not be as fierce as the mains ones.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 29 Mar 2013, 03:31

gonna check these bad boys out on reclaimation street - yeah a 12volter might suit me! thanks Hels :)

its stopped raining - might go and dismantle the bugger - but first the wiring onthe missus TW.....

was bucketing down yesterday an I got zapped by the brake lever :shock: seems if its raining real heavy - and gloves are soaking wet and the indicators are on then I'm getting electrocuted when I put the front brake on.... of course the first thing u do is release the brake instinctively,, not good :(