Oil pressure switch removal

CRM Si
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2
Oil pressure switch removal

Post by CRM Si » 16 Apr 2013, 10:54

Got a slight leak from the oil pressure switch (rubber/plastic bung) located in the frame under the tank on my mk2 CRM. Is there a method for getting this thing out without completely damaging the unit? I've tried to prize the thing out with screwdrivers etc but the thing won't budge! It does pivot though, hence the leak. Do I need to be more forcefull?
Ideas please

As an interim I have covered the whole lot in gasket silicon. Not too sure if this will work or not.
Is there any aftermarket units that fit?

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)
Re: Oil pressure switch removal

Post by helisupp » 16 Apr 2013, 15:58

It will come out with a bit more effort, not sure using screwdriver is good though.

Clean it and then refit with smear of instant gasket at rubber joint.

I have one leaking at the moment, just do not put so much oil in for now.

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 16 Apr 2013, 16:50

if your new completely to bikes or two strokes pal i wouldn't give that switch 100% trust i did years ago on my rgv 250 and got dealt with a £700 repair bill and a long push home. bit of friendly advice :)
VIVA LA CRM!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 16 Apr 2013, 17:26

It's not an oil pressure switch it is a two stroke oil level switch. It is designed to put a warning light on the dash when the 2 stroke oil is low. In fact you have at least 2 tankfulls of petrol left when it comes on. They are unreliable though as has been mentioned so using the light as a reminder to refill the 2 stoke oil is not to be recommended.

It will pull out but make sure the oil in the tank is below the sensor before you take it out. If you give the sensor (switch) a good degrease and the tube it fits into then a good covering of silicone sealer may hold the leak. They are notorious for leaks.

CRM Si
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2

Post by CRM Si » 17 Apr 2013, 10:50

cheers guys, after silicone sealing it all, I've now retopped up with 2T oil so will see if the leak continues.

I never let the 2T oil drop below the site tube on the frame! I only use the bike for a short commute and I'd never rely on the light (actually never seen it come on) to tell me if I am low on 2T oil.

Thanks again for the advice

Simon