mates AR fouling the plugs

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
mates AR fouling the plugs

Post by fishtail » 08 Jul 2013, 18:06

had a bit of ride today - met up with a mate on an AR - only he was late cos he couldnt start his bike - he called me - and I suggested he had fouled his plugs.. about an hour or 2 later riding together it happened again - bottom of longish tarmac hill ( on way to post trail beach dip! )

he's been playing with his float height - cos carb was overflowing on a regular basis.. carbs new almost itd be the float's valve?

on the 2d foul I took the plug out -really sooty...

he's runnin on autolube.. which he reckoned was set up reputably and recently( ish) ( 6 monthish I guess)

plug BR 8 ES
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: mates AR fouling the plugs

Post by knackeredMk1 » 08 Jul 2013, 18:09

Air filter clogged or oil setup. Possibly PV?

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 08 Jul 2013, 21:22

Quick somebody, please sort this problem out for Fishy's mate.

Or it will be up on a balcony, engine out, frame repainted, Gearbox in bits, a few parts left over with a bent exhaust and still fouling a plug.

Only joking.

Go up one plug heat range, hopefully should sort it out, after quickly checking oil pump setting.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 09 Jul 2013, 03:39

hah thanks yeh - u forgot to mention me mk 3 is leaking coolant somewhere into the gearbox :(

missus wants to ban bike bits from house now - darent tell her about my coolant leak yet.. not least of which cos shes starting to get pretty big with the kung fu twins :)

thanks for the suggestions.... I'll pass them on to him - hope he gives me my lightweight 21mm back - had to loan him in case he broke down on way home.......

ps if anyone has an expansion chamber that fits me mk3 that isnt bent be well grateful! :D
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 09 Jul 2013, 15:46

I reckon the seal (on clutch cover gasket surface) is allowing water through the joint., just try a new clutch cover gasket, I am assuming you did use a new gasket and not reuse the old one.......

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 09 Jul 2013, 16:43

yeah I got the athena kit - and I seem to have a bolt missing in that area too... hopefully thats it - altho being me it could be both coolant and 2 stroke ! :D

i did photocopy the gaskets ( probably a few copyrights nbroken there ) so I guess I can just go get some gasket paper..

altho I do have some instant gasket which is very tempting..

also I noticed the water pump cogs were cracked a little - or hair line fracture more like,,. is that common like the crankcases? maybe I should get new ones?

I am changing the ATF again 2morrow - its getting changed everytime I fill up with petrol... until I fix the leak -

or is this a recipe for disaster..

2nd day of short rides in a row - bloody hot here at the min- about pass out after 20 or 30 mins offroad!

clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by clint » 13 Jul 2013, 21:33

That'll defo be that bolt mate. I was pissing coolant because that bolt you are missing was SLIGHTLY LOOSE when I rebuilt mine....

Ps I still got them fork bits if you want them.. I was arranging purchase of a clutch cover in my inbox and had to delete messages (kept saying full) so lost your email (thats why i never sent pics).

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 14 Jul 2013, 02:54

hi CLint - thnks for that -- yeah I bought a new gasket and a new guide rod..

just sent u a pm - cheers! :)