should i break my ar or sell as a project?

steveb
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm ar
should i break my ar or sell as a project?

Post by steveb » 30 Aug 2013, 22:45

hi all just bought a second ar as i want some bits for my bike so im thinking should i sell it as a project complete with tax and mot ready to use but not the cleanest or should i break it? i could then have some parts for myself and also make some money back. If i did break it how much would a running engine fetch which would be seen running before removed? and a frame with log book and tax and mot untill next year? as these would be the first things i would want to sell before moving on to the smaller parts.Just after peoples thoughts at the minute really as wouldnt want to strip it and then not manage to sell any of it Steve

xstian
Reactions:
Re: should i break my ar or sell as a project?

Post by xstian » 31 Aug 2013, 06:53

I always think its shame to break a running bike, just for a few quid. I'm not sure what you paid for it, but if it's taxed and MOT'ed, I would have thought around the £800-1000 mark. I'm sure you can double that if you sell it in parts. It can be quite a laborious task, listing parts on Ebay, removing them, packing and a trip to the post office. Some times this can be for a part which is less than a fiver, and it can take quite a few months to sell everything.

Have you got a picture of the bike? You never know someone maybe interested, and you can sell the bike on quickly and get the parts you wanted from the bike for free.

steveb
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by steveb » 31 Aug 2013, 18:17

I am just in the process of trying to sponsor the site will then get a picture on to see what you lads think

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 31 Aug 2013, 18:50

AR Frame with log, just sold one for £10........so not a lot of profit in that then. Plus only sold to a trusted site member as did not want a CRM stolen and then use the frame wlb to use stolen parts on it.

I Bought a couple of complete, running low mileage AR engines, top price paid was £400. In fact I seem to have bought so many parts I could have built another bike.

The trouble is that even if the engine is running, the balance shaft bearing could be on its way out, crank could have corrosion, it goes on and on.....I know.

What bits are worth anything, everything is usually worn once you have a close look at it.

Bad Feedback on ebay selling a bad part is not worth it.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 31 Aug 2013, 19:56

You certainly won't double the £800-1000 estimate if you break and sell the parts. I doubt that you will even get £800 if you sell as good parts if it really isn't worth you putting it back on the road due to the expense of buying new parts/cost of repair. Some of the prices that are on eBay don't belong in the real world.

If you split you will sell the 'in demand' parts easily, you will then have quite a lot of parts that are only wanted occasionally and you will sell after some time. There will always be some parts that you cannot sell due condition (if you are honest), or more rarely, to very little demand.

steveb
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by steveb » 31 Aug 2013, 22:47

bloody hell 10 pound for a frame its not worth bothering i will have to think hard before i decide what to do. I thought these parts were rare and in demand thats why i bought the bike really so i could have some spares for myself and then make some or all of the money i payed for the bike back

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 31 Aug 2013, 23:46

Like most things, its all relative. It all depends on how much someone is prepared to pay at the time.

Helisupp has it right in a way, because how often would somebody actually require a frame in a legitimate fashion? Thats not to say all frame buyers are dodgy, they may have snapped or damaged one - but how often does that occur? And it probably occurs after youve sold one for £10...

Ebays always a gamble. Win some/lose some.

Only one way to find out...