Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 3
Carb cleaned

Post by longmoreuk » 31 Dec 2013, 00:24

Well from this

To this

I jotted down the current set up too.
I have taken the clip up one notch, ie lowered the needle so it should run a bit leaner, will slap a new spark plug in and see how it runs.

Just need to sort out the ugly old overflow pipes with some new silicone replacement and reroute as previously advised on here, anyone go t a quick pic of where to route the stuff as I can't picture where to put them

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Carb cleaned

Post by knackeredMk1 » 31 Dec 2013, 09:57

FYI 150 main jet is standard.

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 31 Dec 2013, 11:13

Thanks, that is interesting. Will leave it though as I plan to upgrade the exhaust when I can source one so upping the main jet at that point would be sensible. Of course, I may need to adjust the needle as I have taken the clip up one but suspect it was only running rich due to the main jet now I know that.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 31 Dec 2013, 13:56

Just to confirm - You've got Mk3 ?

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 31 Dec 2013, 14:00

Yes it's a mark3. Although the carb bore little resemblance to the Crm workshop manual I found.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 31 Dec 2013, 14:22

Looks the same from here.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 31 Dec 2013, 16:17

To route the breather pipe, it's at least a seat off, if you're only going to the airbox.The pipe will need to thread through the other various cables in that area. A small hole will need to be drilled, or take it through the snorkel hole.
You will know when it's right by the elegance of how it sits and looks, sorry about the description but I suspect every one's will be slightly different.
If you prefer the headstock option, it's the tank off as well. I took mine up along the underside of the main spine, then through the head stock gusset, with a filter on the end of the pipe, to help keep the cr@p out.Again when it looks right, it invariably is right.Whilst under the tank, [if you do] check the twin pull throttle/autolube connector.This often gets overlooked, my preferred course of action is to carefully drill small a hole in the bottom of the housing, just enough for a WD 40/ ACF50 straw, then fire some in there, any surplus will find it's way out again through the drilled hole.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 31 Dec 2013, 18:58

Maybe I have a diff workshop manual then.

Thanks for the information, will take a look and try to visualise. I can't remember what pipes go where in standard guise at the moment though!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 31 Dec 2013, 19:03

The two on the slide body, take upwards, link together above the carb, then to air box ect.
The single one of the float bowl, take downwards.
The water heating pipes should be self explanatory.
Mike

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 31 Dec 2013, 20:21

Fantastic, thanks for that.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 02 Jan 2014, 16:07

hmm wondering if my pipes are routed wrong? :o I jus put em back how I found em... but considering the state of the rest of the bodges on there. - I would take its existing condition as gospel...

mine sound totally diff from mike's description... ----> U didnt get a camera for Xmas did u mike? :P

there is a pipe from my gear box goin to the Air Box which explains how I annoyed the neighbours when I took the cover off to have a look at the air filter.. ( Tsunami of $#itty oil outside their front door )

all my overflow pipes seem to go downward - and drain out behind suspension :shock:
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 02 Jan 2014, 16:39

There are three clear pipes of the carb, the lowest one [1] leading of the float bowl, is the overflow for the carb. This must go downwards otherwise carburation can be effected. The two [2]pipes higher up the carb body, on either side of the slide chamber, you can, if you so desire take them to either of the two positions I mentioned. Of course they will work perfectly fine where Mr H designed them to go, but in general it's agreed they are more likely to get munged up, or ingest water in that position, but I stress, this is strictly I.M.O.
And yes I did get a camera for Xmas, but broke it taking a selfy :( :( :lol:
Mike

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 02 Jan 2014, 16:45

fishtail wrote:hmm wondering if my pipes are routed wrong? :o I jus put em back how I found em... but considering the state of the rest of the bodges on there. - I would take its existing condition as gospel...

mine sound totally diff from mike's description... ----> U didnt get a camera for Xmas did u mike? :P

there is a pipe from my gear box goin to the Air Box which explains how I annoyed the neighbours when I took the cover off to have a look at the air filter.. ( Tsunami of $#itty oil outside their front door )

all my overflow pipes seem to go downward - and drain out behind suspension :shock:

That's worrying it you have that much oil in the air box. It might indicate higher than acceptable gearbox pressure, thus expelling oil.
This is caused by crankcase pressure escaping into the gearbox.
Or, alternatively, the air filter has been fitted with to much filter oil on it, which obeying the laws of gravity has flowed downwards :? Could you tell what sort oil constituted the slick you bequeathed your neighbours?
Mike

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 02 Jan 2014, 17:30

i only over oiled the filter the first time I did it :D ( i confess was when I joined the forum :o )

it looks suspiciously sludgily similiar to filthy ATF from the gear box... there was about hmm - 1 or 2 CM depth in there... actually the bottom of air filter is now soaked in filthy oil...
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 02 Jan 2014, 17:35

actually - I noticed on monday ( when I las rode - planning to ride tomorrow )

that I had oil seepin out of the kickstart seal ( brand new 6 months ago? )

I jus tjhough it was cos my clutch is slippin like a barstewerd? cos it didnt do that before.. and actually I suspect oil is low since I bent the gear selector shaft and that seal is leakin too

actually is it possible I overfilled with ATF - I generally jus measure 650 into a jug.. and make sure its weepin from the observation hole...