Tools to be taken on rides?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Tools to be taken on rides?

Post by knackeredMk1 » 23 Mar 2014, 17:24

I've been overhauling the FAQs - Just a wash and brush up.

I've found a topic that I think will be of use - 'What tools to take on a ride?'

Answers please and I will collate them into a post ...............

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Tools to be taken on rides?

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Mar 2014, 20:23

It's a bit of a what's your favourite sweet question as everyone has a different idea, and may well vary from place to place, and even bike to bike.
I would say get to know YOUR bike intimately. what spanners are never out of your hands, their the ones to pack, in a combination spanner form, and socket form, in 1/4 drive.
Needle nosed pliers, adjustable spanner x 2, one small, one bigger.Mole grips= small pair. Screw drivers.
A 21" tube this will do front and rear tyres. levers, a small tin of WD 40.tyre inflater, of your choice.
A plug for your bike,+ plug spanner,fuses, wire, tape, cable repair kit, spare rad cap, spare split links, and TWO, by chain sections, in case you have to join a chain, a collection of nuts and bolts relevant to your bike, zip ties,
I carry a chain breaker, and riveting tool, a small portable type.
Not so much a tool, but pre-fill a measure of that puncture cure stuff in the tubes before you go out.
Do you ride at night? carry a spare set of lamps if you do.
Not an exhaustive list, but enough to get you going, mostly.
Hence my commodious tool chest.
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CR500/CRM250MK3

Post by mudboots » 23 Mar 2014, 20:57

I find the most important thing to take on a ride for me is a mobile phone, If I was to brake down "And have not up to now, I would call the wife and she will come pick me up in our Toyota 4x4 truck.

kernow crusty
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by kernow crusty » 23 Mar 2014, 22:24

Although Ive not yet made one for the MK 2, when I was using my Husaberg, I made up a double ended ring spanner to fit the front and rear axle nuts. The Berg was 24mm and 17mm....source a cpl of cheap or car boot spanners, cut and weld to just short enough to fit into bumbag..voila!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Mar 2014, 22:32

Or, if you really can't be arsed with all that fannying about, an AA card will do, but you have to get the stricken bike to the end of lane where the tarmac starts again, through the mud, up the hill, in your boots while the Rambliars are laughing at you.
Mike

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by Eddie Evans » 24 Mar 2014, 10:10

For trail riding I take the following:
Spanner/s to fit front and back wheel - for CRM this is a 6" adjustable
Tubes - front and back - light duty - have fitted front to rear in emergency but ....
6" buzzeti tyre levers x3 two will do but why struggle
Good quality mountain bike pump. CO2 stuff is great but once it has gone thats it.
puncture repair kit - best system is fitting new tube to bike whilst someone repairs the punctured tube to carry as a spare
spanners to fit rim locks.
sockets etc to remove bodywork
pliers
plug spanner - + spare plug
knife
small amount of epoxy putty - will repair eng casings.
tow rope - light climbing rope - use footpeg to footpeg
cable ties - selection
duct tape - small amount wrapped around match stick
WD40 - small tin from pound shop.

It all weights the best part of f all and nowhere near the weight of the water I also carry in my back pack

Advice from a top racer was to carry with you the tools you use maintain the bike at home. That way you know it all fits works. The same spanner etc. you use to tighten wheel nuts will be used to loosen them. Obviously it is not the full kit for an engine strip down
Punctures etc are a pain in the arse but no big deal if you have practiced changing tyres in comfort at home.
Whilst breakdown cover is a good back up - it only works on tarmac and also where there is a phone signal. How long will be the wait ......

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 24 Mar 2014, 19:07

Self amalgamating tape, handy for hose repairs.
Small first aid kit.
Additionally, on a personal list, butane gas cannister, and tea stuff, it's quite nice to stop in your own time and a place of your own choosing for a brew, and a chocy biscuit.
Mike