Advise please

Lukep749
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Advise please

Post by Lukep749 » 22 Sep 2014, 22:45

Hi all

After some advise please, two things really.

1. How much 2 stroke oil should I be using on a mk3 we have just done a three day trip, I used a full tank plus another 600ml, the AR didn't even use the tank ? Is this right ? We guessed approximately 70 litres of fuel in the mk 3 but every time we filled up the AR used about £1-00 less is this right? just had re bore and new balancer shaft, besides a neutral problem all running good, standard exhaust but smokes a bit whilst engine under pressure. ( I'm getting about 300 km from full to red light, done another 100 km after red light but don't want to push much more), am I using too much oil ?

2. Had gearbox oil leaking from gear selector, so when I had re bore and balancer shaft I checked the Gear selector shaft out, to find it was bent, purchased a second hand one from knackered (thanks) all fit no problem, when fully re built the engine, i was finding it hard to select neutral when the engine got warm, thought it was just bedding in of the new shaft and changed the oil 3 times after 3 short runs.
Still having problems, also noticed the clutch is not fully disengaging the gears, it won't tick over in gear with the clutch pulled in, any suggestions, I have ordered new cable from LT and waiting to come.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Advise please

Post by knackeredMk1 » 23 Sep 2014, 07:34

Difficult to judge if you are using too much oil. The AR is designed to use less oil. Have you checked your oil pump settings? (see 'Oil Pump Settings' in FAQs).

Good idea to get a new cable but all you difficulties could be tied to one thing - grooves worn into the clutch basket. (See 'Clutch' section in FAQs).

Lukep749
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Lukep749 » 23 Sep 2014, 19:26

Hi

Yes checked oil pump setting, 1mm past mark perfect.

Going to take engine case off Friday and see what we have, got another basket to try out so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Lukep749
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Lukep749 » 31 Oct 2014, 20:52

So after some Maintainance a shed load of money.

New throttle / auto lube cable fitted, fine adjustment, oil use perfect.

Filed the rough edges of the clutch basket, fit heavy duty clutch spring with a new clutch cable, all is perfect, it helps the clutch if I zip tie the lever up whilst stood to enable oil to pass between the plates, a little trick from Hellisup. :D :D

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 01 Nov 2014, 10:15

Lukep749 wrote:So after some Maintainance a shed load of money.

New throttle / auto lube cable fitted, fine adjustment, oil use perfect.

Filed the rough edges of the clutch basket, fit heavy duty clutch spring with a new clutch cable, all is perfect, it helps the clutch if I zip tie the lever up whilst stood to enable oil to pass between the plates, a little trick from Hellisup. :D :D

Agreed, but I would add the caveat that, the clutch springs will be under tension 24/7, as will the cable and all it's parts, so more likely to fail earlier than if the components were all working normally.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!