Running Lights MK3 ( indicators on!)

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Running Lights MK3 ( indicators on!)

Post by Bultacobob » 11 Jan 2015, 18:52

HI, have just bought a MK3 thats indicators did not work, removed the head light and found the fuse, replaced and the lights work however the front indicators stay on as a constant dim light. Is this correct or do I have further wiring to wade through!!! If correct will this now be an MOT failure? Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Rob

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992
Re: Running Lights MK3 ( indicators on!)

Post by pudzie83 » 11 Jan 2015, 19:29

sounds like you got a gremlin in the electrics im pretty sure indicators need to be working 100% for a pass or removing them is another option
VIVA LA CRM!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 11 Jan 2015, 20:06

You have options, indicators lights on MK3,s do act as running lights. The UK in it's infinite decided to make this function an MOT failure. Remove the indicators, and pillion pegs. Tape up the indicators for the MOT, or get to know your testing station, who will agree the DOT are a bunch of pencil pushing lick spittles, and the ignore banality of the edict.
Have a look in FAQ, where this has been covered and resolved.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 11 Jan 2015, 23:29

Thanks Mike, at least I know that the electrics are as OK. Since owning the bike I have been through the FAQ section in detail but must have missed this part so sorry for covering old ground. Will do as you suggested for the MOT cover the lights and remove the foot rests. I just feel that indicators help on the road between green lanes and will take my chances if stopped. Since owning the bike for about 3 weeks I have been researching into ways of improving the electrical Achilles heels of this bike mainly protecting the PGM. My Dad used to fix electrical problem in Aircraft so I have drafted him in. Will share with you all if we come up with anything of note.

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 12 Jan 2015, 11:19

ive never had them on my crm in the 4 years of ownership only been pulled over once as the copper wanted to check my mitas tyres were legal :lol:
VIVA LA CRM!

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by rich1960 » 12 Jan 2015, 15:43

I have an AR with indicators permanently on and my mate has a MK3 the same, I had an issue at my last MOT and had to remove them and tape up indicator switch, my mate didn't have any issues at his MOT at a different station (owner is a trail riding TRF member and CRM MK2 owner) needless to say, the MOT station that I use has closed down and I will be using the one my mate uses for future MOT's.....if you're in West Yorkshire then it's Odsal Motorcycles ;)

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 12 Jan 2015, 17:27

My local Honda dealer tells me a few type of bikes have this configuration and he will pass the lights every time.

I think we call them daytime running lights now.

waz
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by waz » 13 Jan 2015, 20:43

Hi, I saw your question and seeing as I have just recommisioned my indicators thought I might be able to help. First things first I bought my bike as a Mk2 but I now think it is either a Mk2 with a Mk1 engine and wiring loom or a Mk1 with UPS forks fitted but these will be questions i'll be asking for help on later.

I have not worked on anyother CRM's so dont know if the wiring is exactlly the same but feel sure it will be close. I bought LED indicators and a flasher unit for my bike, The removed flasher unit had 3 connections on it and the new one only 2. Basically the original wiring runs independantly to the back and front indicators. I found that when I linked the front and rears together the rear indicators would flash left and right as selected but the fronts both flashed together.

A quick check to see if yours is wired the same way is to remove the turn signal lamp in the dash this will allow the indicators to flash independantly but you will have no dash indication. try this out and let me know what happens if afterward you want to have a dash indication i'll let you know what to do, sorry but I don't have time tonight as I am presently at work.

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by rich1960 » 13 Jan 2015, 21:00

Thanks Waz, but I'm happy to leave mine as they are, until I get stopped by plod.

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 13 Jan 2015, 22:48

Hi Waz, Thanks for the info. I had a look at the wiring on the MK3 and it has a 7 pin connector for the relay unit, which seems to give individual feeds to the front and back. I don't have a clue why the relay was made this way, I have done a fair amount of auto electrics and never seen any thing like it. From what I can make out the PGM unit actual controls the running lights. I could make a new connection run a stranded 2 pin relay unit and wire the left & right hand sides together. But I reckon it's easier just to go with things as they are, cover it up for the MOT IF its a problem and then use as normal.
I hope you get your bike sorted. I only read the good reviews on the CRM's I have got to say I would not have got one if I had know that the were an electric timebomb waiting to go off. That said they really are great bikes when working and I am going to stick with mine.

Cheers

Rob

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 12 Jun 2015, 15:19

HI just to round this thread off. I have just got the bike MOT, the official word on the indicators is that they are fine as long as when continuously on, they are not as bright as when indicating and Honda are bringing in new bikes with this feature and it is approved. Lastly everyone says "Oh the first thing I would do is remove the indicators for greenlaning" firstly they absolutely help on the road work and secondly after many OFFS I have yet to damage them, even on my last trip out where I tried a giant sand, wall of death, like you do, and flew out off the top, only slight bending the front indicator bracket, whilst hand guards and handlebars took a massive wallop.

In my humble opinion indicators help save lives on the road, if you have got them KEEP THEM!!!

safe riding

Rob

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by rich1960 » 12 Jun 2015, 15:28

I agree 100% - I have always had them on my trail/green lane bikes and would really miss them if I hadn't got them.

Just for anyone unsure, the MK3 and AR are built by Honda with the front indicators staying on, but slightly dull, all the time, and despite trying I haven't found a way to turn them off.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 14 Jun 2015, 21:07

mine (AR) went straight through the last 2 MOT's with no mention of the running lights.
Only worry I have on the road is people thinking I am indicating if they can only see one side.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 15 Aug 2016, 17:53

I believe LED indicators don't mix well with incandescent lights on the CRM, It is a CRM you're trying to modernise?
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!