Proper tension of the RC valve cabels!

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Proper tension of the RC valve cabels!

Post by Bultacobob » 13 Jan 2015, 17:32

A bit of technical help please. I need to adjust the RC cable to align with the mark on the case, a simple job of just tacking up the screw head to shorten the cable and pull the arm up. The revers tension is taken up by the spring in the other cable, so far so good. But how to ascertain popper tension on the first cable which is now tighter does the spring on the revers side which is now under lass tension compensate? I don't want to put to much strain on the servo, and have seen several articals saying make sure you have the proper tension when adjusted, but no info on how to do this. I have checked the FAQs and sorry if I have missed it.

Cheers

Rob
P.S. Any good lubricant recommend for the cables (not WD40)

CRM 250 MK3

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: Proper tension of the RC valve cabels!

Post by Bultacobob » 18 Jan 2015, 12:33

Hi replying to my own thread. I adjusted the valves to the correct setup, it is basically a self regulating on a push-pull setup with the spring on the second cable tacking up the slack. The correct tick over is important or you do get a false setting. It is worth revving the engine several times to get an a good base setting ( engine must be warmed up). Putting some copper grease on the mechanism will help lubricate the cable ends as they turn as well as the cable wires sliding in to the sleeves, + springs etc. You must use copper based grease for this due to the heat! Now the cables will need lubricating as is well documented, but they are subject to fair amount of heat near the engine and where thy connect to the RC Valve. A copper and graphite grease will hold up well and NOT thicken and cause drag as it ages. An aerosol version should be use with a cable lubricating tool, which can be used for the clutch brake and throttle, I would also use a copper and graphite grease for this. An alternative is a dry fine graphite powder used for car locks (in aerosol form), it can be used with the Lube tool , never clogs and is slippery as hell, a bit more fiddly and messy but is the ultimate low drag lubricant. Don't ever use WD40 as a long term lubricant in cables. It is however good for dissolving old grease and oil before putting fresh in. Hope this is of some help.