Lower Chain Roller

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Lower Chain Roller

Post by Bultacobob » 27 Jul 2015, 18:26

Hi I have just swapped out the original lower chain roller with a KTM one from LT as that is all they have in stock. It is a bit shorter but fits, however my problem is that the chain seems to be running very close the outer edge and may start hitting the metal bracket that holds it. I have replaced front & rear sprockets and aligned the rear wheel which is running true. My Question therefore is has anyone else noticed that the chain favours the outer edge and does not sit centrally on the roller. It might also explain the strange noise that randomly occurs on acceleration? It is on a Mk3 with 13 F 45 R sprockets.

Cheers

Rob

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Lower Chain Roller

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 Jul 2015, 21:18

Can't you space it off slightly?
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 28 Jul 2015, 23:32

Hi Mike,
Spacing is not an option as the chain is riding close to the welded bracket that holds the roller on, although it does sit on the roller itself. Basically it's as if the front sprocket is sticking out to far (I have attached it the right way round) I looked to bashing the whole thing over but it has fairly heavy duty welding and very close to the frame. I can't believe it was designed to have this much offset. Will have another look for a solution. I only noticed this on fitting the new roller otherwise to be honest I would have missed it, but with only about 4mm space before it goes metal to metal contact I was a bit concerned. That said there should be very little lateral play in the chain. I was curious to how other CRMs were set up. Having had many bikes over the years I have replaced and set up countless rubber guides but never seen anything so massively out of true. The frame seems straight so will look to see if the rear sprocket should have a spacer which would move the chain closer in.

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by rich1960 » 29 Jul 2015, 08:42

Bit of an obvious one, but you have got the wheel spacers on the correct sides?

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 29 Jul 2015, 17:45

Hi the spacers look right as the chain is ok on the swing arm but any info on the spacers apreciated as this may be the problem (new to the bike). Have added a pic to show the offest!!! Have just checked spacers and the are correct.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 29 Jul 2015, 19:21

Something looks misaligned.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 31 Jul 2015, 14:41

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 03 Aug 2015, 15:11

Thanks for putting up the photo, it looks in exactly the same position as mine on the original roller. So a quick up date, Firstly the original rollers are recessed on the frame side, which allows them to get closer and just about touch all of the chain. Hence when putting on a non original, the chain hangs of slightly. So you can try and sort the pattern part out or plan B Like I did, slip a long 15mm socket over the spigot and give a few hefty wacks, this bends it back towards the frame slightly and aligns things up a bit better. A bit of heat helps the metal move. Personally I would modify the pattern part if you are not much good at metalwork. ( I had my welder on standby). Hope this helps anyone else putting on a pattern part and thinking their frame might be out of true.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 03 Aug 2015, 17:04

This is a bit off the wall but what are your frame and engine nos.? And what connector does your drive shaft use to fix the drive sprocket? Just the first few numbers of the frame and engine numbers are needed if you want to keep the actual number private ............

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 03 Aug 2015, 22:41

MD32-1002***
MD32E-1002***
Plate with 2 bolts

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator