dillondog
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: rm
2 stroke pump

Post by dillondog » 01 Aug 2015, 21:35

hi all.
got my mk2 started up today after a good few minutes of kicking but when it did start it was thick white smoke
and spits of oil until it was warm. i have not started it for about 3 or 4 weeks. I noticed the 2 stroke oil level had gone down about half way down the clear view pipe ( always fill the oil to the top after a day out).
my question is can the 2stroke oil seep through the pump and into the cylinder by gravity?
how can I fix it or is it something else?
once its warmed up it runs fine and doesn't use loads of oil.
pump is set throttle open and align marks so that looks ok.

can anyone help me out?

cheers.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: 2 stroke pump

Post by fallenmikethebike » 01 Aug 2015, 22:09

It has been known. There should be some old threads on this issue.
If you don't mind the hassle you could go premix on the fuel. Block the spigot of on the manifold if you do.
50/1 on a good quality oil would be O.K.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

dillondog
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: rm

Post by dillondog » 05 Aug 2015, 08:04

thanks
but didn't want to go down the pre mix road, may just have to live with it.
I was thinking of a fuel pipe clamp with a disk lock reminder on the handle bars but I do tend to forget things that's why I fill the oil when I get back from a ride and if I forget to take the clamp off BANG game over.

next doors will have to put up with the smell of 2smoke coming through the windows.

Speeddevice
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2

Post by Speeddevice » 06 Aug 2015, 08:47

Try dis-assembling the pump and checking the ball-check valve and the plunger seal.

Here's a link, it may not be the same but gives you an idea on what is going on inside the pump;
http://www.thejunkmanadv.com/uploads/8/ ... 9_orig.jpg

There may be some dirt stopping the ball valve from re-seating completely or possible that dirt has damaged the plunger seal.
If you remove it and flush it with a solvent to get rid of any dirt and check the operation.
Important advice: Whenever you dis-assemble something like this, take lots of pictures. It will help when you put it back together or need help on the forums. Thanks to digital cameras you can take LOADs of photos.

As a last resort the pump can be replaced. They are usually made by Mikuni, or a similar company, and used on a number of different bikes, boats, planes (ultra-lights)...
keep an eye out on any oil-injected two strokes.