2 stroke pump using LOADS of oil ?

davecee92
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
2 stroke pump using LOADS of oil ?

Post by davecee92 » 26 Oct 2015, 19:32

Hello all just got the crm mot'd and i am wondering the oil pump is using too much oil or if the seal has gone allowing 2 stroke to enter engine ... i filled the tank in the frame up literally till it was overflowing 2 days ago and noticed that the 2 stroke was sitting about 1/5 of the tubes level i just checked the oil pump there and it was roughly 4mm past the alignment with a full open throttle ... i was wondering if anyone could advise me on wether im just panicking over a silly little adjustment or if it sounds like more thanks hope someone can help

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: 2 stroke pump using LOADS of oil ?

Post by fallenmikethebike » 26 Oct 2015, 19:37

Take the oil checking bolt out, the one on the right hand casing. Get the bike level and allow any excess oil to run out.
Leave parked up in this position and monitor for any continued out flow.
It doesn't sound wildly out.
How much oil does it take to refill the tank?
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

davecee92
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by davecee92 » 26 Oct 2015, 19:40

I actually dont think its as bad as i first thought as it didnt take much to refill it mustve just been the adjustment .im going to keep my eye on it, out of curiosity how much oil do they hold in the frame ?

ss50scott
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by ss50scott » 26 Oct 2015, 21:09

I've not long got myself a CRM and I too initially thought it was using loads of oil. on the first run out I was concerned as the oil had disappeared from the level tube but it didn't take much to refill the tank and when you look at it closely the tank is actually quite big, the level is only at the top. There is a lot more in the tank than what this shows. On all my strokers I like to adjust the pump on the high side, past where the marks should line up. I don't mind using a little more oil - better that than not enough.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 26 Oct 2015, 22:22

davecee92 wrote:I actually dont think its as bad as i first thought as it didnt take much to refill it mustve just been the adjustment .im going to keep my eye on it, out of curiosity how much oil do they hold in the frame ?
I think it's about a litre. Carry a small bottle of your brand of 2 T with you.
Generally you get about 500 miles to a tank of oil.
Don't panic if the low level oil comes on,there's still plenty in there, and at least you know the light works.
Lots of owners change the pipe from the pump to the inlet spigot from the black tube to a clear pipe, that way the oil can be seen.
Mike

mikeelwb
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mikeelwb » 21 Nov 2015, 04:21

I recon u may just be panicking i do it all the time always worrying that im going to run out of it but im always supprised when i top up as its always less then what i expect i tend to wait till iv done about 400km then top up again And dont know if this will help but i was in asda the other day and they had castrol power1 2t for a 5er not sure if it was a mistake or not so brought the lot as i normaly pay 13£ in halfords

TomWales
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by TomWales » 01 Dec 2015, 18:34

fallenmikethebike wrote:
davecee92 wrote:I actually dont think its as bad as i first thought as it didnt take much to refill it mustve just been the adjustment .im going to keep my eye on it, out of curiosity how much oil do they hold in the frame ?
I think it's about a litre. Carry a small bottle of your brand of 2 T with you.
Generally you get about 500 miles to a tank of oil.
Don't panic if the low level oil comes on,there's still plenty in there, and at least you know the light works.
Lots of owners change the pipe from the pump to the inlet spigot from the black tube to a clear pipe, that way the oil can be seen.
Mike
I'm just about the change the pipe from the oil pump to the carb to a clear one, I went to my local garage and they had the same inner diameter but the outer was slightly smaller. Will this be ok? - they said it would be as long as the pipe wasn't a suction pipe? I presume if it is a suction pipe it may collapse and end up not working?

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 01 Dec 2015, 19:04

No problem.

TomWales
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by TomWales » 01 Dec 2015, 19:16

Excellent Thank you!

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 15 Dec 2015, 16:44

ss50scott wrote: I like to adjust the pump on the high side, past where the marks should line up. I don't mind using a little more oil - better that than not enough.
This is not actually true and something to be aware of, the extra oil is burned off which of course generates heat, also more oil = less fuel per bang, again this can cause a slightly lean mixture so in short extra oil is not always a good thing.
the factory pumps are pretty conservative with in conjunction modern fully synth oils there is no need to run the pump further than the factory marks and flow rate.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 15 Dec 2015, 17:14

admin wrote:
ss50scott wrote: I like to adjust the pump on the high side, past where the marks should line up. I don't mind using a little more oil - better that than not enough.
This is not actually true and something to be aware of, the extra oil is burned off which of course generates heat, also more oil = less fuel per bang, again this can cause a slightly lean mixture so in short extra oil is not always a good thing.
the factory pumps are pretty conservative with in conjunction modern fully synth oils there is no need to run the pump further than the factory marks and flow rate.
+1
Mike

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 15 Dec 2015, 18:56

It actually depends on the quality of oil used and weather autolube or premix.

Cheap oils are generally mineral based and will burn more easily - Therefore using up more air and making the mixture rich up to a point. This is true for autolube or premix.

Expensive synthetic oils are much less likely to get burnt so the engine will run pretty much the same if used as autolube (to a point) but will run leaner as oil quantity increases particularly if used as premix.

Trouble comes in the middle range of oils!!!!