Leisure trail rebuild info ?

davecee92
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Leisure trail rebuild info ?

Post by davecee92 » 17 Dec 2015, 18:36

Hi bike wouldnt start the other day kept fouling plugs so looked up the exhaust port to find i need a rebore ( this is 2 weeks after my front pipe blew one of the welds on the way home from work ) it had a rebore done by them roughly 500 miles before i got the bike and ive done maybe 500 tops aswell , i was wondering if anyone who has had an engine rebuild from leisure trail could tell me how much it cost to have work done and how long they take I am probably looking at rebore with piston , new mains + seals and probably a balancer shaft too , obviously i know that they could find anything but the bike had no engine problems prior to this happening so gearbox etc should be fine , here is the bike http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/davec ... t=3&page=1

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: Leisure trail rebuild info ?

Post by jompy » 17 Dec 2015, 19:50

Have you thought about stipping it yourself having a new piston & rebore then rebuilding yourself ? You'd save a lot in labour !
Leisure Trail 01159732466 talk to Tom for parts or Pete (Co owner) if Tom can't give to rebuild prices , Pete's a nice guy but can be a bit abrupt , just his nature

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 17 Dec 2015, 20:30

I strongly suspect that you need a rebore because when your front pipe blew it caused your engine to run lean and overheat. This smeared the piston on your exhaust port. The cost of a total rebuild of an engine, rebore and new piston etc by LT is likely to be north of £500 an probably £600. But if you do the work it will still cost >£400.

These are approximate. You might find more problems.

warloks
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by warloks » 18 Dec 2015, 20:57

I have just rebuilt my CRM and it was an easy job if you take your time i didnt need a rebore but i did phone leisure trail and was quoted £200 from their bad attitude staff for a rebore and piston.I did ring these guys www.pjme.co.uk and got a quote for a rebore with woosner piston for £147 inc vat which is bloody good deal also their crank repairs are very reasonable as well they also did a full gasket set by athena for £34 inc vat and delivery all my crank seals i got from simply bearings online they were very helpfull.so have a go yourself the results will be rewarding :D

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 19 Dec 2015, 21:14

knackeredMk1 wrote:I strongly suspect that you need a rebore because when your front pipe blew it caused your engine to run lean and overheat. This smeared the piston on your exhaust port.
I agree but would make sure that is the reason. 1000 miles is nothing for a CRM I gave mine a new piston (first one) at 12K miles.

chris1971
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm mk2,2

Post by chris1971 » 31 Jan 2016, 20:20

a piston kits going to cost you 100 quid for a quality kit . a rebore will set you back 50 to 70 odd quid . base gasket 5 quid and re-use your head gasket . its not rocket science to do this yourself mate and once you have done this you then learn the next job . before you know it you know your bike inside and out with the added satisfaction of knowing you did that . dont be shy , get your hands dirty lol