spray painting help

stav1111
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
spray painting help

Post by stav1111 » 05 Jul 2009, 12:14

Hi, I thought I would re spray my CRM while it was all in bits just to tidy it all up for this year, and then do a proper job next year . I have used Halfords spray primers, gloss white paint and petrol resistant lacquer, like I said it was just too tidy it up and do a prober job next year.
I have sprayed the sub frame and finished that of with normal Halfords lacquer it’s turned out good. I have sprayed the petrol tank using the same apart from the lacquer were I used the petrol resistance lacquer. It all went well until a couple of days after where I noticed a yellow tint to the tank, does any one know what would have coursed this and what I can do about it
My main frame is just waiting to a have its lacquer coating on it I don’t want to spray it until I know what’s happened to the tank. Do I just use the normal Halfords lacquer, but I’m scared that will react with any petrol spillages
Many thanks

howe1601
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: spray painting help

Post by howe1601 » 23 Jul 2009, 14:18

Check the top coat paint. Often gloss paint doesnt require a laquer and when its applied the original colour will change and do the oppoiste to what its supposed to do.

I sprayed my tank a year ago with white gloss no laquer and it is still really white. Also you get what you pay for with paint. i have never found Halfords paint to be that good. By far the best way is to get an air gun and compressor. i know its an expense but a Compressor is one of the best bits of kit i have ever bought. The finish you get from a gun is second to none.

roryntp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 1991 mk2
Re: spray painting help

Post by roryntp » 12 Nov 2009, 15:30

thanks for the tips, i'm considering re-doing my tank this winter, just to confirm this is onto a plastic tank? the finish i have on mine at the moment is chipping off (obv a respray by a previous owner), are there any good tips on sanding down tanks to get them to a point of being resprayed? i've never rubbed down/sprayed plastics before so any advice is appreciated.