Frame powder coating

Hallsy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Frame powder coating

Post by Hallsy » 13 Sep 2011, 15:26

What seems to be the going rate to have the main frame & subframe powder coated?

Its been a bit hit or miss getting quotes around me, a few places didn't get back to me, another quoted £120 + vat.

Just had a quote from a one man band powder coater who a few guys at work have used and he said £100.

Sound reasonable?

If I were to paint it it would cost me around £50 for a litre of etch primer and 2K industrial paint, plus my time stripping & painting, so suppose £50 extra to have it done by someone else (with an arguable more durable finish) would probably be worth it.

I explained that I'd need the 2 stroke reservoir and various housings, etc masked up which he seemed happy to do (well, I offered to do it for him), but I'll make sure I at least make some good fitting bungs for the 2-stroke reservoir.

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Frame powder coating

Post by Eddie Evans » 13 Sep 2011, 17:53

I love the finish from powder coating and think that a few quid extra compared to hand painting is well worth it.
One suggestion I have from previous experience is that you let them sand blast the frame, pick up the frame and smooth any rough surfaces such as rust pitting with sand paper, then take the fame back for coating.
You will never have to touch the frame again so it is well worth the little extra effort.

Hallsy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Hallsy » 13 Sep 2011, 18:31

I agree Eddie, Powder gives a nice finish, although if I had been painting it would be by gun rather than hand.

Either way, it's another job I won't have to worry about for £50 or so extra, I had another quote back just now for £150, so seems like £100 is as good as I'll get it for around here.

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 13 Sep 2011, 18:43

for some reason it always seems cheaper round us if you pop in on a saturday morning and pay cash :lol:
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 13 Sep 2011, 18:51

~£100 + VAT is a reasonable price.

Get a 'satin' finish rather than 'gloss'.

Hallsy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Hallsy » 13 Sep 2011, 19:11

Oh yeah, satin all the way mate :D

Jeram
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jeram » 14 Sep 2011, 14:09

I paid the equivalent of 100 pounds for mine to be blasted and coated...

just be sure to put rubber corks in all the bolt holes, of if you cant get and of those, put some OLD bolts in the holes, and get a threaded bar and two large flat washers to protect the head stock area.

also, worth paying a little extra and get it zinc dipped first, so even if you scratch your frame, it is likely to not wear through the zinc, so your frame is protected for longer, the zinc also helps bring out the darker powder coat colors and works as a great 'primer' for the powder coat.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 14 Sep 2011, 14:18

I use Redditch Shotblasting. They took the frame (and a lot of other parts over the years) and mask off all the places you don't want blasting/coating before carriying out the work. A lot of bike magazines recommend them.

Hallsy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Hallsy » 14 Sep 2011, 18:02

Just been up to see the powder coater this arvo, seems like a nice guy.

Spoke about the openings in the top part of the frame so he is going to bung those up, head bearing housings will be taped up.

After seeing the frame he said it would be around £60-70 :D I think initially he was concerned whether the frame had been originally powder coated, or how many layers of paint it had, which might have effected the blast time and so cost.

Guys who have used him at work have no complaints about his work, so for frame & subframe for that price I'm more than happy! He said it might even be done by end of tomorrow :BB

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 14 Sep 2011, 20:20

a good day then Hallsy

New reedblock and inlet manifold for mine were delivered today , and the seller forgot to put in the listing that the reed block is fitted with boyesen 2 stage reeds :D
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

Peter
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Peter » 14 Sep 2011, 20:56

Thats a great price Hallsy, i had my frame and sub frame blasted and coated the other day and was charged £120, did a great job though. I also had the foot pegs done which were a night mare to fit because of the thickness of the powder coating.

Alex_H
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Alex_H » 03 Jan 2012, 12:07

Seems like i got a better deal than all of you lol, burton stove enameling charged me 65 quid, sand blasted and coated frame and subframe, and its a great job. They did a sidestand for 3 quid and an r1 swingarm for 20.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 03 Jan 2012, 12:30

Where is burtons Alex?

Alex_H
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Alex_H » 04 Jan 2012, 10:31

[quote="twistednuts"]Where is burtons Alex?[/quote]

Burton on trent mate, a fair way for you to go I reckon.

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 19 Jan 2012, 19:57

try this lot, much closer. I've heard good things about them

http://www.triple-s.co.uk/

they are in west yorks
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface