fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
painting gen cover or other options

Post by fishtail » 24 Aug 2012, 06:41

my gen cover is a P O S :shock:

i scored a better one of a fleabay like site..

but its plastic ( they all are ) ( or ARE they? )

and its a crap colour...

whats the best way to paint it? I might just go black,, boring but safe?
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM250 Mk3
Re: painting gen cover or other options

Post by njhardy » 07 Sep 2012, 07:18

Hiya Fishy- I sprayed mine with engine black- it looks cool and its quite tough, although my boots have started to scratch it...Its a good, cheap option.
I am in the process of a full engine rebuilt (hence the time offline!). SHe was in a right state inside the engine- partially ceased and blowing head gasket, knackered bearings. I have rebored to 67mm, polished the engine with a Dremmel, then greyed it with engine grey- casing, barrel, head and carb- she looks good enough to eat!! Put new main & little end bearings in, Boyessens and better reed box, new jets and needle, TRX piston, filters, wheel bearings, gas flowed & ported her, skimmed the head a little for compression, new red and stainless hoses everywhere, gold chain & sprokets (14-50), oh and a re-spray.
-She is gonna fly!! (Hopefully with me still attached!)

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 07 Sep 2012, 08:32

sounds awesome. I'm working up to this.. just got a bit involved in riding recently :)

wondering if its worth my bother tarting it up..

having said that I just scored - new front and rear fenders, seat cover - and complete side panels/ rad covers for about 50 quid from Tao boa

all looks great apart from the side panels/ rad covers as well )

they are bumpy - none smooth... think I will get the electric sander on them..

I think I will make the bike white ( ie no need to paint :D ) ( eventually?)

I gotta drop the engine - then I will powder coat it. do I go black or gold or red ? still tempted by blue for some reason?

( need to buy bearings. drive shaft . clutch needs a lookign at. swing arm bearing are fecked as well )
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM250 Mk3

Post by njhardy » 07 Sep 2012, 09:26

Be careful what the registration doc says on it- I bought mine and it was red and black, although it said white on the reg document (another reason for the coppas to fine ya!!). I was going to respay the same colours, with a white tank, but once I had primed it and sprayed it white- she looked well sexy, so I decided to keep her all white. Mind you, it shows up every speck of dirt!!- Another reason to wash her more often...White bodywork with black or silver engine works well. I have embellished mine with gold chain, sprockets, gold bars and braided stainless hoses everywhere. Gold rims and hubs would also look sexy. Yamaha blue would be good too- but she ain't a Yami!! Get a YZ instead.
Not sure about a gold frame...You could always go the old CR direction and have a red frame and red engine- that would be cool.
Only use acrylic paint- not cellulose based paint- it cracks a lot and comes off if you spill juice on it. I wouldn't bother sanding panels- I have tried it & they just go furry. Just buy some replacements and respray.